Ryujin's Design Works (Updated Oct. 8, '22)

The place to share your artwork.
Ryujin

Been busy fooling around with other stuff. Anyways...

Character portrait:
Col. Isambard Wright

And I could still use some comments regarding the previous post.
VR7

Darn, you're still 2-3 steps ahead of me... :P

In response to your previous comments, you're thinking of a mecha similar in concept to an Orbital Frame or maybe the Devil Gundam.

I haven't seen how Orbital Frames are constructed, but I know that they have the ability to evolve and adapt to situations independently, (or with nothing more than input from the pilots) as demonstrated by Testament, Jehuty and Dolores. They cheat though, since they use a magical and apparently sentient power source.

The Devil Gundam is actually an interesting concept, since near the end of G Gundam you start to see that the Devil Gundam is more of an enormous, semi-sentient creature, as opposed to everything else that is just a regular mobile suit, mobile fighter, or some kind of super robot. However, the Devil Gundam must have some mighty high resource requirements if it wants to create Devil Gundam heads or transform itself into a giant demented space colony.
-noel
Ryujin

VR7 wrote:Darn, you're still 2-3 steps ahead of me... :P
Thanks. To be frank, I wasn't as good as you when I was your age. Hard work & guts, etc. :)
In response to your previous comments... transform itself into a giant demented space colony.
Hmm, adding a DG cell-ish component into the mix would turn up some interesting results...must study this further.
Brave Fencer Kirby

The real question with this bio-suit concept is whether or not the things are mostly machines (that happen to be built out of protein instead of steel) or mostly animals (that happen to have cybernetic upgrades).

If they're mostly machine, then there's really not much difference from purely mechanical suits. Okay, so they're refueled witht mush instead of He3, and they undergo checkups instead of maintenance, but all in all you can treat them as machines with specific capabilities rather than as something entirely new.

If they're mostly animal, then that brings up a whole new set of questions. Are they smart enough to have a personality? Could they be skittish, aggressive, unfriendly, etc? Could they form attachments -- preferring particular pilots over others, for example, or becoming "friends" with other suits in their unit? How independent would they be? Could they move without input from their pilot? (If yes, how much? Just to balance in place? To actively avoid threats? Only if there's no pilot aboard?) Could they disobey pilot's commands? (Again, if so, how much? Only to avoid obviously suicidal circumstances, like running off a cliff? To prevent collision or friendly fire? To refuse to charge against massed enemy fire?) Can they get sick? Do they need rest? Do they feel pain?

Personally, I find the concept much more interesting if they're more animal than machine. The relationship between organic suit and pilot would be something like the relationship between warhorse and cavalryman. Ultimately the decision is up to you, of course, but that's just my two cents.

The advantages of an organic suit would be the fact that they'd likely be much more fluid than purely mechanical creatures; they'd probably be more agile and almost certainly handle rough terrain better. They'd also be able to do a fair amount of natural healing, rather than having to be repaired and maintained. If they're intelligent/independent enough, they'd give the pilot an edge in defense -- I imagine that the suit would instinctually focus on self-preservation, anticipating and avoiding incoming attacks, leaving the pilot free to concentrate on eliminating targets.

The disadvantages are significant as well, though. Logistics would be a problem -- they'd need food more often and in larger quantities than a nuclear reactor would need to be refueled, and there would have to be some method of disposing of excrement as well. As has been mentioned, healing from serious injury would be a slower process than it would be with a mechanical unit. If they're intelligent enough to have emotions (which would probably be necessary if you expect them to be at all independent) then there's the possibility of having them be fearful or panicky -- I certainly wouldn't want to be caught in a demisuit stampede, especially if they're capable of firing their weapons without pilot say-so.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Ryujin

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:The real question with this bio-suit concept is whether or not the things are mostly machines (that happen to be built out of protein instead of steel) or mostly animals (that happen to have cybernetic upgrades).....I certainly wouldn't want to be caught in a demisuit stampede, especially if they're capable of firing their weapons without pilot say-so.
C-&-P'd for further contemplation.

I was leaning more towards lobotomized animals with a goodly amount of cybernetics, but am now considering giving them more brainpower & the other possibilities you pointed out. To be honest, I was sold at the mention of DEMISUIT STAMPEDE. :shock:
Ryujin

Seeing as how dA's being all tsundere for my ISP these past few months, I'll be posting descriptive text to go along with the picture links.
Anno Astra setting:

Puma V ARV
The Puma V was an armoured reconnaissance hovercraft manufactured by MBB and widely used by polities with ties to the Confederation. Though not as capable as a flowcraft design, its use of well-proven older technologies made it a very reliable vehicle with low operating & maintenance requirements. This, plus its ability to carry a wide variety of weaponry and equipment, contributed much to its popularity with militaries on a budget. An assortment of turrets could be fitted, but standard on all models was a bow turret armed with a 5/01 pulse laser. Internal cargo space was available for a section of armored infantry, but the vehicle’s low profile made it a very cramped fit. Vectored-thrust exhaust ducts in its armored skirt gave it a respectable amount of maneuverability (“lively” for its size, as one test driver remarked), and its engines had enough thrust to give it the ability to ‘hop’ for short durations over obstacles up to 2 meters in height—although not when fully loaded.

Depicted is a Puma V in Bremengard livery, bivouacked somewhere in the Montmartre Highlands on the joint colony planet of Plessis-von Bulow. Asides from the standard bow turret laser, this example has an unmanned main turret armed with a 25mm coilgun & a 10mm coaxial weapon. On the rear deck is a 6mm coilgun repeater for anti-infantry & CIWS work. Distributed across its hull & turret are appliqué armor plates, countermeasures dispensers & active defense arrays for additional protection. In the foreground, on sentry duty, is a power-armoured trooper wearing a basic Hound II powered shell. In the background is a Kobold demi-shell armed with shoulder-mounted HVMs and a handheld 30mm coilgun. Not shown are the reconnaissance platoon’s support vehicles.

Comments: Funny how, even in the far future, someone still uses grainy, silver halide-based photographic film (i.e. we make up excuses to cover up for the poor landscape rendering).

Goliath DS
One of the earliest demi-shells to achieve mass-production, the Goliath was designed by General Dynamics in response to an AF-sponsored competition. Although it lost to a rival design, the Goliath still managed to attract the interest of other parties, and was kept in production for almost 20 years despite its increasing obsolescence. A few still serve in isolated frontier backwaters, often as construction machinery.

Even in its heyday, the Goliath was considered to be slow and cumbersome, with limited range of movement and high ground pressure. On the other hand, it was well-armored, reliable, easy to maintain and a steady weapons platform. Many were modified with updated control systems, additional sensors & networked systems to take advantage of the 360-degree waist traverse, effectively turning them into mobile, all-terrain area-defense turrets.

Depicted is a Goliath during a field test with live weaponry on a simulated village. Mounted on its shoulders are a high-powered 7/01 pulse laser and a paired HVM launcher. There is a notable absence of additional gear, not even a handheld weapon, which is to be expected as there were virtually no DS-scale weapons in production at the time.

Comment: 7/01 -- 7 megawatts output, .01 second pulse = 70 kilojoules optimal yield.
HVM-- Hypervelocity Missile; accelerates to hypersonic speeds of Mach 5 & above, relies primarily on KE to do its job.

Others:
From a project spawned on a certain image board which involved a Dyson Sphere and some other stuff:

In the Depths

Comment: Canyon-dwelling people in powered armor.
Dynames

Very nicely done if i might say so
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBQvDu2KCk
One reason why 0083 Stardust Memory is one of the Best
OddlucK

Looks great, Ryujin! :D
young_oldtype

Re: Ryujin's Design Works (Updated May 27 '09)

That green infantry guy sure caught my attention. The powered armor reminds me of that of the Roughnecks', and he looks great in it.
Theoden wrote:[/color]Spears shall be shaken, shields be splintered! A sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!

See bullcrap here.
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN:
Praxis
Ryujin

Re: Ryujin's Design Works (Updated May 27 '09)

A round of thanks for everyone who's taken the time to view the links in this thread.

Feuerlanze FOIL for vulnepro

More to come, eventually (when I get tired of Space Empires V & SDGO).
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Re: Ryujin's Design Works (Updated July 10 '09)

Ryujin, I know you and I don't get to converse much around here, but did you know you're one of my favorite people on the forum? =)

Your Firelance looks very good. (Pro!) My compliments on the excellent ankle and foot design. That stuff is usually neglected, and it's rare that I see good work on this area. So what is he shooting from his left arm exactly? That tube is feeding the gun, right?

Can you tell me what vulnepro is? I tried browsing the page a little, but at this hour my mind is a bit too cloudy for their trippy-ass page layouts. How did you get to be drawing for them?

Keep up the good work, sir. And your random and expert advice around the forum has helped everyone out a lot. Let me thank you for going out of your way for us.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Ryujin

Seraphic wrote:So what is he shooting from his left arm exactly? That tube is feeding the gun, right?

Can you tell me what vulnepro is? I tried browsing the page a little, but at this hour my mind is a bit too cloudy for their trippy-ass page layouts. How did you get to be drawing for them?

Keep up the good work, sir. And your random and expert advice around the forum has helped everyone out a lot. Let me thank you for going out of your way for us.
Many thanks & whoops!

Sorry for not replying for so long; a bit of tunnel-vision while browsing the forums, thanks to a broken monitor. I literally was not seeing 2/3 of the topics. :P

Yeah, the Firelance's weapon's basically a flamethrower, with the fuel supply in the shoulder. The armored hose is exposed since the weapon's basically an add-on that can be quickly removed while in combat.

As for Vulnepro aka Mike Majestic, he's a professional artist who likes mecha a lot. I made his acquaintance a few years back on dA, and we share an admiration of Makoto Kobayashi's & Kow Yokoyama's work. We were having a random conversation a few months back, and I offered to contribute a few designs since I was tired of doing my own stuff at the time. Here's his dA site (with a less confusing layout): http://vulnepro.deviantart.com/

Thanks again, and hopefully I've been of some assistance to you.

Meanwhile, I've been working on what's basically a Dreadnought on a diet.
Seraphic

Ah, so that explains it. At first, I supposed that Ryujin must be SO good that he doesn't need any stupid noobs for critiques or support. He's pro, so he's way above grovelling for little comments. :P :lol:

The color choice on your Crucis is very nice. I have no idea what this thing is supposed to do, though. What do you do with a midget on the battlefield? =p I think you should have turned his right arm a different way though, if you wanted the hand to bend inwards. The way you did it, the forearm looks terribly bent. =( I like this thing though. It's quite charming.

Ryujin, if you don't mind, I think I want to ask your help with something. It's not a huge deal, but simply a curiosity.

So here is a screenshot of my lifted lineart up close (along with an embarrassing reveal of what I was listening to at the moment.) :oops:

So the lines look very jagged up close because that's actually how they scan in. It's just the nature of the pencil and the grain of the paper. Is there a way to smooth this out in Shop? I intuitively tried some things, but my intuition is crap, apparently. =p Is there a way to do it short of retracing the lines? If there's no quick (or extremely interesting) fix, you can just shoo me away and forget about it. Again, it was only something I was wondering about.

Let us know when your screen is fixed, or if you get a new (pro!) doodle posted up. =)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

Seraphic wrote: Ryujin, if you don't mind, I think I want to ask your help with something. It's not a huge deal, but simply a curiosity.

So here is a screenshot of my lifted lineart up close (along with an embarrassing reveal of what I was listening to at the moment.) :oops:

So the lines look very jagged up close because that's actually how they scan in. It's just the nature of the pencil and the grain of the paper. Is there a way to smooth this out in Shop? I intuitively tried some things, but my intuition is crap, apparently. =p Is there a way to do it short of retracing the lines? If there's no quick (or extremely interesting) fix, you can just shoo me away and forget about it. Again, it was only something I was wondering about.

Let us know when your screen is fixed, or if you get a new (pro!) doodle posted up. =)
Sera, try using blur filters on your line art.(Gaussian blur seems to be extremely effective for me.) or can at higher DPI. (for example all of my stuff is scanned at 300 dpi which is the same as used for professional prints)

(and so I don't seem like a rude ass popping into a art thread without comment on the actual artist's work) Ryujin I love your Foil and powered armor designs. my only complain is how large of a brush you use while painting, you seem to lose a lot of detail when painting line art (if your ms girls are any indication). I'd love to see more of your lineart before you start applying paint.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
Ryujin

Seraphic wrote:The way you did it, the forearm looks terribly bent. =( I like this thing though. It's quite charming.
Actually, it is bent. There's an extra point of articulation in the middle of the forearms, where the armored coverings overlap. I was considering ways to indirectly increase the movement range of the wrists without making the wrists themselves too exposed.
Seraphic wrote:So the lines look very jagged up close because that's actually how they scan in. It's just the nature of the pencil and the grain of the paper. Is there a way to smooth this out in Shop? I intuitively tried some things, but my intuition is crap, apparently. =p Is there a way to do it short of retracing the lines?
I've resorted to my old PIII's 14" CRT monitor since I presently don't have time to shop around for a new one.

Anyways, the method that crashlegacy suggested is always a good one, although it would work much better if you apply it to a high-dpi raw scan, when everything's dirty and the pencil lines are still greyish, gradiated & fuzzy. You can then play with sharpen filters & levels afterwards to make the lines darker & more solid. As it is, with what I can see from your screencap, the blur filters would work less effectively since all the pixels comprising the lineart are a single, flat color. Also, the Distort -> stylize filter also works in a similar fashion to the Blur filters.

You might also try vectoring, via create path, some portions after the blur filters have done their work in order to get a smooth line of consistent thickness.
crashlegacy14 wrote:my only complain is how large of a brush you use while painting, you seem to lose a lot of detail when painting line art (if your ms girls are any indication). I'd love to see more of your lineart before you start applying paint.
Actually, there isn't any lost detail for the same reason I can't really post any lineart--except for a character here & there, I haven't done any actual, scanned lineart at all since 2006. At the most, I do a rough sketch on PS or Painter with a mouse, like so:
Foil Sketch #1
Foil Sketch #2
I then proceed to get down to business.

As for the lesser amount of small details, I probably got lazier & focused more on rendering lighting & texture effects.
Seraphic

Ha, I figured it'd be something like that. Ryujin is so pro that he's transcended lineart and the pencil altogether. :o 8)

I need to set aside a day where I just go through all the filters one at a time to see what the hell all of them do. (So many....) The blur filters do help some, thanks, but I think I'll only use them in special cases. =)
-Antares

Ryujin

Seraphic wrote:Ha, I figured it'd be something like that. Ryujin is so pro that he's transcended lineart and the pencil altogether. :o 8)

I need to set aside a day where I just go through all the filters one at a time to see what the hell all of them do. (So many....) The blur filters do help some, thanks, but I think I'll only use them in special cases. =)
Did someone say pro? :D :D

Anyways, yeah, the filters are a lot of fun; for example, I used to fool around with the Stylize-->Wind filter in conjunction with another filter (I forgot which) to get fuzzy video camera effects.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8608/gzavtr.gif
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/2449/mustvtr23dh.gif
Ryujin

A couple of 'Demi-shells' from my Anno Astra setting:

Shoki
Crucis