VR7's New Artwork Thread

The place to share your artwork.
VR7

Seraphic wrote:Story is still in writing? If you've got it in a novel format, I wouldn't mind it showing up in the fiction forum. I have your Andromeda System topic indexed in the Library. =) But transitioning to a comic, I think a script format would probably be the most beneficial.
Yeah, I always planned for ASys to be a comic. Whatever thread you have bookmarked is probably also very outdated too. :P

And yes, I did change my avatar to a Tales avatar. Probably won't last long due to the overwhelmingly saturated pink.

Also, I felt like posting this here for the hell of it. This was born out of curiosity of what Noel would look like in the new coloured look, though I actually originally did not intend to upload it anywhere.
-noel
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Ah, so who is in the new avatar, VR? I don't recognize this one.

Noel is looking good, as usual. These colors are brighter than the earlier editions. I swear, she's gonna catch pneumonia in that skirt, haha. :P We're just picking on you though. :lol:

I actually really like those handguns! They're a very interesting idea. How much ammo do they have?

As for custom handguns, this is my favorite design of all time. I think it's done by Koichi Mugitani (aka CHOCOLATE SHOP, yes all caps), a mecha/character designer for Xenosaga III. The barrel actually floats underneath at that sleek angle, which is the first I've ever seen, and the clip is top-loaded or something. I can't remember exactly. The thing is actually friggin' tiny, but it looks really damn cool. (It's a "maid's" handgun, and it's held with like only two or three fingers.) I wish they'd make a scaled up magnum version, haha.

*Edit: Oh, and congrats on your thread hitting 100 posts. Quite a landmark. =)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
VR7

Previous avatar was Natsume Rin from Little Busters. Current one is now Judith from Tales of Vesperia, I think I'm going to settle for this one for a while.
ha ha, judith, get it, her name is judith, my favorite booster is CB-JUDITH, oh never mind

Those handguns Noel has are AS Particle guns, she'll be among the few carrying those. (They're prototypes) I don't know if she'll have to worry about ammo much, maybe long recharge times.

That custom handgun you posted actually does look quite neat, it looks more like it came out of a live action sci-fi than it does from an anime or anything similar.
-noel
Seraphic

You hide it well, but you're such a huge dork, VR. But I guess no one around here is really free of that accusation. :roll:

I've seen Judith work her magic in some gameplay vids. I think news of Vesperia's 360 exclusivity was one of the most devastating events of last year to me. Do you know how much I've been wanting a spear wielder in a Tales game? And here comes Judith, who can apparantly go completely sickhouse on everybody's collective asses. Ugh, just let me go cry in my corner now.

(And yes, every time you post and I see your avatar, I'll probably feel a little twinge of pain in my heart.) But I guess it's not too terrible. It's better to deal with harsh realities. -_-

And you'd be surprised about that handgun, but here's the evidence. Hornisse. I never knew its name before. I just found that link for you. I've never seen CHOCO's full illustration before, either, since the gun was normally advertized with just a closeup of the maid with her Hornisse. Sorry if it's a bit ecchi, but I guess that's how CHOCO rolls. Being able to appreciate good lookin' women with nice handguns isn't all bad though.

Seriously, I think CHOCO is one of my favorite character designers. (Not that I know so many.) I wouldn't mind trying to study that character style. It's very beautiful in my opinion. I've been wanting to find one of his artbooks, but importing one will probably be the steak-to-the-heart for my already dying wallet. I could probably benefit a lot from it, too, since I'm probably the biggest art noob you'll ever meet. I'll just have to be patient, I guess.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

Seraphic

Random, but this one's pretty cool. =p Haha, is that Awesome Gaiden in the background??

The coloring is very good, and I especially like the hair. You're using other colors instead of just tones and shades of the base! That's pretty interesting! Personally, I'm always confused about form-fitting sweaters. But I suppose it makes no sense trying to figure that out here and now. Tell me, why should this lady be feared? =)

I like your casual and aside pieces very much. It mixes things up a bit, you know? I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.
-Antares

VR7

Yeah, that's Awesome Gaiden. That was what I got on my birthday, (Feb. 3) even though I was planning to grab some drawing books at the time.

It says "Fear Me" on her shirt because I looked up some of her older drawings and dug up a drawing with the corresponding text. I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head to write so I just wrote that. :P

[edit1]
It's an old drawing of Pelly that I forgot to ink and colour. I think I like this design more than my previous attempts.
-noel
VR7

http://vr7.deviantart.com/art/Height-study-115550873

Did some drawing book reading. One of the readings led to me doing this.
-noel
Seraphic

D'oh, I missed that edit. =o My immediate reaction was "What's a 'Pelly'?" But I figured that out after a while. Yes. Because I am so smart. Ten times smarterer. :D

Pelly looks really interesting to be honest. She doesn't feel like a lead character, which I guess is something she has going for her. Her appearance is less striking and more humble. Something about her makes me think our personalities would clash. This is probably just how your style is nowadays, but I've always felt the torsos/backs could use some lengthening. That's just me, so you don't have to take it seriously.

What does she do with her glasses if she ever needs to pull those goggles over her eyes? =) And how good is her aim with that pistol? =p

A height study! I'll need to do one of these eventually...but I only have one character on paper so far, really, so it's a while away. >,> I noticed that all of your notes use cm for height, and I couldn't ever figure why. I keep forgetting you're in Canada. ("It's metric, Seraph!! Get a brainwave...."***)

I really like your work on Raven for this page. She looks really strong, with a really good posture. I especially like her expression. I think you labeled two characters as "Kestrel" by accident, so that confused me for a minute, but I figured that out also after reading your notes on dA.

"Sexually ambiguous emo kid"? :lol: If you're looking for codenames, I suggest these three:

Tavis
Kite
Osprey

Also, grackles are cool. ^_^
-Antares

VR7

Geopelia is one of Raven's wingmen. She will be a main character.
Seraphic wrote:I think you labeled two characters as "Kestrel" by accident, so that confused me for a minute, but I figured that out also after reading your notes on dA.

"Sexually ambiguous emo kid"? :lol: If you're looking for codenames, I suggest these three:

Tavis
Kite
Osprey

Also, grackles are cool. ^_^
Hah, whoops. Yeah, the bishounen looking guy (on the very right) is Kestrel, the other guy is Tiercel. :P

I already used Osprey for the callsign of another character. Haven't tried the other three though.
-noel
Heretic

VR7 wrote:http://vr7.deviantart.com/art/Height-study-115550873

Did some drawing book reading. One of the readings led to me doing this.
I’m glad you post things like this. So often all I get to see is the final product of some artists so it’s difficult for me to see how they went about the drawing composition. With this I can see more of the rough stages and proportions so I can partially deconstructed your method and try applying it to my own artistic experimentations.

Thank you
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
VR7

just need to get this out of my system

It's probably a bad idea, but then again, what is? :P

Didn't post this on dA, didn't feel like it

Been feeling very crappy for the past couple of weeks, school and annoying stuff. This still isn't anything very new other than some simple refinement. I also redid Raven and Pelly, (not inked or coloured yet) but I didn't post those.

Actually I redid all three of them because you mentioned that the torsos needed some lengthening, so I decided to play with their proportions a bit more. Though, that didn't occur to me until just now, I was just about to say that it was because I didn't like how my previous couple of sheets turned out.
-noel
Seraphic

You're redrawing things again! And was it because of what I said? D: Didn't like your previous design sheets? How come! And don't worry. I'll have some material up soon, so then it'll be my chance to be nagged at. -_-;

Noel looks more natural to me now. But I guess the most important thing is: do YOU like it better? It's interesting to see that you're going with softer colors now. The emoticons are very amusing. Noel looks pretty good in ther civilian get-up, but seems pretty bored or annoyed. I've always had the impression that she's one of people who only "feel normal" when they're on the field. (...you even designed the bottom of her boots...!)

I can't wait to see the other design sheets if you ever feel like putting them up. I'm always happy to see when you've got new material. ^_^

Eh, sorry that you're not feeling good. Saying this will make it very obvious that I'm a bit of a weirdo, but whenever I feel like I'm in a rut, I watch Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, and I feel better afterwards, if only because I realize I don't have it quite so bad. ....TOMOE!! T__T

I hope things get better for you, VR.
-Antares

VR7

Yeah, I've had better days. I usually play games or something if I'm feeling down.

Usually a week after I draw and put something up, there is something about it that I don't like, but can't put my finger on it. I tend to do this with the model sheets very often because once I've figured out what's wrong it doesn't feel right keeping the sheets that way so I either tweak them or just redraw them entirely. (Which is why I have a lot of model sheets and design tweaks) I like it now as it is, but I'm probably bound to find something wrong later on.

I notice that I like to rave and rant a lot about it too, but I guess the above better summarizes those. :P

Noel's character is supposed to be actually cocky and arrogant while on the field, while rather quiet otherwise. In the bottom left, Noel's supposed to be wearing some kind of bomber jacket, just to see what she would look like in more traditional aviator wardrobe, and to highlight the latter aspect of her personality.
-noel
VR7

Re: VR7's New Artwork Thread

http://vr7.deviantart.com/art/ardor-2-0-118384948

I'll probably post my redos of Noel, Pelly and Raven on dA later on.
OddlucK

I like it! It reminds me a little of the Wildraubtier from SRW. Not the same, no, but that's the vibe I got at first look.

Keep it up!
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

owie. overload. one of the mjor things I've always had problems with is the lack of general understanding I have with your Ardor design.

Like the purpose of the back pods. in some designs you label them as AS Drives, others as AS thrusters. Was it that you decided to make a AS drive (which I'm assuming is a power plant) not also the thruster? in this verson they look partiularaly odd agianst the rest of the design, veery block verus the rather smoothness of the rest of the body.

Speaking of body, the front torso looks a bit flatened, and is that a visable cockpit w/ the pilot in plain view? This is probably the first one I actually understand the pelvic design. though it would have helped if your detailing of the back view covered that region.

The head for this design looks alot different then almost all the others. looks very unique though. Personaly I liked your previous versons of the head better, thoguh it may have jsut been a lack of seeing it in profile.

Now with the AS blade on this one, is it meant to be similar to the exia's GN sword (i.e. solid blade that flips forward) as apossed to the pervious ones which seemed to simply extend from the forearm? and the shield, mounted on the elbow? I'm not seeing the reason for putting it further back, it would take more time to put it into position to defend that way....

The talons look like an interesting feature, and I can see how they'd be usefull expecialy when trying to on say an asteroid.

-nice avitar image btw.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
VR7

Yeah, I tend to change this stuff on the fly. Right now it's a single drive with two thrusters, it might be subject to change. The thrusters are still largely incomplete, still in a layout form. I also don't know if that cockpit will be transparent or opaque, I just sketched it in to see if a cockpit could fit there.

I actually kind of like how the new head turned out. It's still the same basic design as the older Ardor heads though.
Seraphic

:| VR, I hate to break it to you, but this version of Ardor looks far too much like Jehuty to me. Nearly exact. It's got the same shoulders, wing binders, waist design, fixed weapons, and even the vector thrusters on the side of the legs. I know you want Ardor to have a similar figure, but you should at least explore some more geometries. If you want the same shapes, try different scales/proportions or panel lines. Try adding on some random parts or shapes and see if you can make it look good. You were doing really well with hemispheres on Hestia. Maybe you can figure a good theme for Ardor.

I personally really love hexagonal angles. Orbital Frames use hexagonal angles in their panel lines. You've got them all over Ardor, so you should know what I'm talking about. =) I also really like how the head is done for this version. It almost looks like he's wearing his own helmet, where in most mechs, the head IS the helmet. And I personally do like placing shields on elbows. Maybe it takes a split second longer, but I find it to be a very sturdy place to mount a defense. Have you ever tried blocking a hit or making a strike with your elbow? Try it and you'll understand. =) So is that shield just frontal coverage or something bigger like a full 360?

VR, I was digging through your scraps on dA some time earlier. I think it actually made my day. All of your practice doodles and stuff were genuinely interesting and wonderful to look at. I was going through it to study the older versions of Ardor, but I found a lot of other neat stuff. You really ought to work some more on those 4komas and get them finished. =)

And who's what in the new avatar? Looks like a good one. =o I'm stuck with this old MS Paint drawing for the rest of eternity. Because I'm old fashioned. =p

*eagerly awaiting the new uploads for Noel, Raven, and Pelly.
-Antares

crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

I can see the design similarieties I think the face plate just threw me off. I was like "fuck the what?" (oh wait that's a semi-inside joke just think of a dislectic typing WTF really fast..)
I totaly understand you with the layout changes. personally I wouldn't want my power source mounted on the exterior like it's ment to be detachable..that jsut asking some sharp shooter to blow it off.

oh and... Sera it's not a Obital frame! It's got feetez!! xP
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.