VR7's New Artwork Thread

The place to share your artwork.
VR7

Re: VR7's New Artwork Thread

Sera, something like this?
my current avatar is masashi randou from pretty face (manga)
-noel
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

VR7 wrote:Sera, something like this? my current avatar is masashi randou from pretty face (manga)
Yes! Something like that!

The drive/thruster pods you have are very interesting! It's a shape that I would personally struggle to redraw every time, but I like irregular shapes. And besides, more thrusters need to be oriented pointing back instead of down. =p The mods you made for the torso and shoulders are also very good. I really dig the shell/case concept in the shoulders, and the hexagonal...rib...things...on the torso are a nice touch. Good detail on that back waist plate.

You see how much good just playing around with stuff can do? It's all a process, and sometimes it can last for a long time, but good things come of it. For instance, my Ethereal was originally a Wing/Wing Zero variant! >,< It's changed a lot over the years, obviously, and it's probably still not finished, either. (Because I'm never really completely satisfied with a design.) I find that a good way to approach this process is to focus on what the design should be able to do rather than what it should look like. Once you have a good feeling on how the design should be perceived, random stuff like parts and panel lines just start to spew out naturally or out of intuition. It's a weird/long process, but I find it kind of neat.

Progress!

And since when did people ever need my approval? -_-; And you made that text so small I didn't even know it was there until I quoted it!! =o

*random animal noise** =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

no one, does VR just asked oyu since you're the one quickly responding and doing sone in a inteligent way. you're giving sugestions while I mostly jsut seem to spew out randomness of how much I love Vr's style. or making random jokes in them iddle of his own post.

but Sera is right form follows function.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
VR7

Here we go.

Noel (it's the same drawing as the one I uploaded on Photobucket)
Pelly

I wanted to post Pelly and Raven at the same time, but then I got bored. (I'm still inking it)
-noel
Seraphic

(I recognize an avatar for once!)

I was going to wait for you to edit in the page for Raven, but I didn't want to have you think you were being neglected, either! ^^; Honestly, I don't know why it's usually just Crash or me who comments. I'm thinking everyone else is just too busy gawking. =)

I think we've already discussed Noel here, and obviously the main discussion is your adjustment of proportion, and specifically the length of the torso. I'll reiterate that I think it looks much more natural now. I don't know if there are any other adjustments you may have done, but it looks to me that you found a way to make their hips as curvy as you like while not having it stand out so much. It's an interesting way to compensate for that, isn't it? =) No cause to redraw anything (AND PLEASE DON'T), but her shoulders are lookin' a bit stiff there. Noel ought to relax a bit. =o

It's a Pelly! (You have no idea how heavy of an accent I am saying that with. Ever seen that once scene of Band of Brothers where they're in the theater? Yeah, you have no idea what I'm talking about. =p) Wow. The coloring you did on this one is awesome. The tones, shades, and highlights work and blend together so well! It looks so natural. I like her shoes. =p Honestly, Pelly is a real cutie, but she looks like the type with wild mood swings. :lol: I still find it amusing (in a very good way) that she can wear both glasses and goggles. It's a nice way to distinguish her. People can joke about people with glasses as 4-eyes, but Pelly one-ups that with goggles, so, 6-eyes?? But why do her emoticons have one eye? Something's not adding up! :lol: (Yeah, that joke was a bit overdone.)

I'm probably a bit of a weirdo for noticing those things. And while the quality of your work here was excellent, I have to pose that I liked the color scheme of this version better. I just like the use of white and tan/sandy brown more. All in all, I'd say you've done very well for yourself.

Progress! d( ' , ' )b

*Eagerly awaiting Raven's design sheet. But now we'll have to guess if VR will either respond or just edit it in. Quite unpredictable, that fellow. Off to play Xenosaga now. God, that game is frustrating the crap out of me. Don't know how I'll manage to finish the trilogy.:P
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

crashlegacy14

*mumbles about a toothache from hell*

pelly gives you a +5. brown and green is a nice break from your blues and white of the other girls. pelly's outfit makes me thing that she's a little scatter brained what with the two different shin coverings. and...is she left handed? sweet. what's the object on her left shin sheath? another knife? nother question, what's that on her back, above the knife sheath? and I'm not sure I've asked this yet but are her google like just goggles or night vision and all that jazz?

hum. I sound more scatter brained then pelly looks. darn tooth ache makes it hard to concentrate. *rubs temples* Sera's got a point, me and him are the only ones who comment...where's everyone else! *looks under various illogical palces -like under his chair* there' not herre or here or here or even over there!!
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
VR7

It's probably because I don't really have anything that's really new...
-noel
crashlegacy14

could be. try doing the disgin for one of the males or something. hehe.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Seraphic

VR7 wrote:It's probably because I don't really have anything that's really new...
Only a person passionate about his work can have so much focus on a single subject. And besides, it's interesting to see what sort of stuff you're trying to think of and work through with each successive piece. It's interesting for me at least. I'd say it's the sign of an upcoming master. So far, it's just you and Crash. And I spent a long, long time just drawing a lot of grunts and enemy units just to make everything feel more complete. But apparently my grunts "aren't going to woo anybody" my friend tells me. I would say that it's only superficial and stupid-ass fanboys who only focus on the main stuff and nothing else. I still can't create whole design biographies and timelines the way Shori does, though.

It's YOUR art thread, anyway. Just post whatever YOU are focused on. Want to work on other things? Cool. Still fiddling with colors and dress? I'm down with that, too. As long as you're drawing and making progress, I'm glad. I'm just worried that Crash or I may come off as a pair of weirdos or stalkers because we're posting here a bit too often. Consistent input never hurt anyone, though. Your drawings look better from outside the window, by the way. :wink:

Oh, and this is the clip I was talking about. (Turn it up.) It's a PEHL-LEE!!
-Antares

VR7

wee

Here we go. Still WIP.

Actually I don't like how the colours turned out, I might redo it.
-noel
crashlegacy14

is her arms alittle on the short side? that might just be me having drawn long armed mecha for so long though....

I like the detail on the back of her suit, reminds me of the suits from dancougar nova a little in that regard. I've got to ask the question how does she acess things in her pack, the back pack seems to be in a rather hard to reach place. oh wait, does it open upside down? niffty.

loving the emblem..I might have to bug the shit out of you to make me a few emblems for me. I'm admitably horrible in designing emblems and such.

when you say the color is a bit off, you're infering to the dark color of her suit right? oh and her left eyebrow isn't colored.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Seraphic

You were on, VR? It's always quite a surprise.

This is very nice. She looks thin and willowy. d( ' , ' )b It looks like she might be wearing a full body suit. I know you love your miniskirts, but have you ever considered just removing the skirt thing? That might make her jacket looks a bit unusual though. At this point it might be useful to keep in mind that people can change their outfits as they go. Different ones might be better at certain times. The yellow lighting is a bit unusual here. It likely doesn't work very well unless it's established that the whole setting has the same lighting. It might not be appropriate for a design sheet.

I've got some more birds for you. (Actually, how many characters need call signs, anyway??) =p

Tern, Kingfisher, Albatross. (strong names)
Wren, Rhea. (soft names)
Snipe. (If you've ever wondered where the term comes from. =p )

This picture is so wonderful I just had to share it. It's a snowy owl. ~<3 It's on my wallpaper, haha.
And just because I'm feeling funny: bouncing tits.

I've forgotten about half of them. :roll:
Edit: wow, I didn't know that word was filtered. That's pretty silly. Kills the joke completely. >_>;
Edit2: I just noticed the Old Snake emoticon. Awesome!! Haha. =p
Last edited by Seraphic on Mon May 04, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Antares

crashlegacy14

*facepalms before breaking into laughter followed shortly by groaning*

Funny sera is funny.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
ydawg314

Re: wee

VR7 wrote:Here we go. Still WIP.

Actually I don't like how the colours turned out, I might redo it.
Hey VR I guess the two things that have been bothering me are the head sizes (The top of the head seems a bit small) and the poses (they poses seem a bit unnatural)

Other then that I like the way you do the line art.

Ooo one more think the clothing in that picture seems to be a bit too much. Maybe there is too much fabric? I cant imagine anyone wanting to put that much on girl or guy.
Too many layers.

Don't get me wrong, your going a great job but I just thought that I would give you some constructive criticism
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
VR7

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149 ... Raven1.gif

I redid the whole model sheet, switched her back to pants and removed that stupid backpack thing. (And a more natural pose) Actually looking back it wasn't just the colours--I wasn't that satisfied with the older sheet after inking it, so I'd rather just redo the whole thing.

I actually wanted to try and keep the skirt, but it's kind of hard to assemble pouches on a tiny skirt so I gave up. I know those are some very tight pants though.
-noel
ydawg314

Yeah It looks a whole lot better this way though.
nicely done
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
Seraphic

Hm...I sure hope you weren't rushing with this. I think I can pick out a few spots that don't look as carefully drawn as you normally have it. You'll probably pick up on them yourself as you ink it, I hope.

I know you're disappointed in losing the skirt, but the suit definitely looks more functional rather than you trying to glam her up. Aesthetics aren't a bad thing, but maybe looking slightly more professional could help distinguish Raven's personality? And remember, it's still fine for people to change their looks as they go.

Where has her main holster gone? I can't seem to pick it out. Still in the same place? And I wouldn't call that "useless backpack" useless because I still have no idea what it was supposed to hold. Was it important? Maybe she should just use a vector trap instead. =3

And Old Snake's moustache contains more "badass" in it than some people have in their entire bodies. =p

Overall, I like your progress in proportioning things and modifying this suit. I wonder how much better it will look in color? And VR, you sound as though you are growing frustrated. It's all cool, so don't get hung up on yourself. =)

Progress!
-Antares

crashlegacy14

Seara the gun holster's always been on her right thigh, the soutside of it has two clip pouches on it making it some what harder to distiguish. and personaly one of the thinks I like about raven's outfit was she actually looks like she's has all her ammuntion, weapons and gear in their palce. and was pretty much ready for anything. my ealier comment about the backwack as based on it's size and location, if it extended up for example she could have reached over her shoulder to acess it (provided it opened from the top) another option which struck me because of the helmet in the previous image-and watching voltoms- is that the pack could have contained her airsupply. realizing it no it would be similar to the pack naked snake wore on his chest while performing the HALO jump.

so yeah I actually like the skirt, it was different, and sorta her trademark in her design. that aside, I can't tell is the pants a seperate piece or is it and the top one piece, the belt kinda throws me off in the sketch from figuring it out, I'm sure it's obvious as day to you though.
additionaly untill ydawd said something, I alswased assumed that the jacket was part of the the bodysuit. course looking at it now thinking of her wearing a body suit as the base makes me go "Doh!". speaking of which the new lines are rather interesting, though I'd follow through and try making the semicirlcar "pannel" line on her lower abdomen hexagonal as well. Personaly I'd have gone with the typical emblem location on the shoulder, but its current postion would make fora good escuse some could offer in comic about why they where stairing at her chest. yeah I said it lol.

on a side note, I'm really starting to think I draw arms too long with you and sera around.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
VR7

Pelly wears sunglasses and goggles because I wanted her to. She actually doesn't wear them all the time.

I follow a rough guideline for determining proportions, starting with a head height to body height ratio.

Characters 160 to 170 cm tall are seven heads tall. Any taller (higher than 170 cm) is eight heads, any shorter falls to six heads or less. Canada actually uses the Imperial system for measurements but I just prefer to use metric. I don't know how accurately this follows real life proportions but I use it anyway since it works for me.

By this logic though, most CLAMP characters are basketball players.

With that in mind, arm length is about 2.5 heads for a 1:7 ratio character, from shoulder to the fingertip of the middle finger.
-noel
crashlegacy14

comparatively I'd probably go with 3 heads lenght for my charcter's arms. -that would put the hands at mid tigh from my reconing. that said Ydawg's comment ealier about the top of your character head seeming definaly should be paid attention to I think compared to the room used for the face the "ball" of the head is actually a bit small. arg-I can't find a proportions iamge for the head right now. damn internets fail me (or my lack of sleep)
Crash's Mecha Based RPG