Strike Zero's Mecha Studio : We've got stuff.

The place to share your artwork.
Strike Zero

Re: Strike Zero's Mecha Studio : Back in the game!

Thank you for the comments. Know that they are highly appreciated!
Seraphic wrote:So what sort of inspiration are we talking about? Pretty surprising that something like this resulted from only a few hours' work.
In short, it was an idea that came to me as a new unit for one of my characters in the General RPG. As I said earlier, the reason it came so quickly was because I was sketching off an image of the Fairlion (which it was based on both in real life, and in the context of the game) so I was basically given a starting block to begin with. That, and the fact that there hasn't ever been a "Loli Gundam" to my knowledge and I was eager to see it realized helped to contribute a bit as well.
Seraphic wrote:Its shoulders and back...ring thing...look interesting, though it only makes me wonder if they are functional at all.
This comment stuck me as odd until I realized that you had mistaken its wings for part of the shoulders -- its shoulders are actually nothing more than the two circle things next to the torso. As for how they function... well, you got me. Why don't you ask the guy who designed her? :P
Seraphic wrote:If you want to fix its hips, the only thing you have to do is look at its waist and figure out how they should all line up. I know the pelvic section is hidden by the skirt armor, but you at least have to know how it is structured underneath there. We're all familiar with this terrible example by now, but it's the only other wide-hipped MS currently in circulation, and at least it might provide for a useful example. In short, move the right hip in close; move the left hip a bit out. You might consider adding some panel lines to its legs.
Happily noted. Will work on it for the next update.
Seraphic wrote:And while everything looks to fit together well, the proportion/scales you used here says "Medabot" more than it does "mobile suit" to me. I won't make a huge deal out of it, but consider looking into that. =o
Bwahahaha! I see what you mean, especially when you consider that its total height is just over half that of a normal Gundam (roughly 13-14 meters)
Seraphic wrote:Good work, sir. I find it to be quite a unique design. How about we call it "Cecilia"? I have this strange idea of giving proper names to MS.
Thank you, good sir. Cecilia, maybe. By next update, it will have been decided.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

100 posts, wcch! =o

I'm thinking this is one of those instances where a design benefits highly from having a design sheet. Along with the main picture, just include some diagrams or side drawings to showcase parts of the frame or equipment. (A helpful thing would be to show the backpack by itself, or the frame by itself.) It likely needs some color, too, to help me differentiate one thing from everything else. :roll:

Ring structures definitely look cool, but it may be helpful to think of specific functions for them. I have a design with a segmented orbital ring, but it doesn't show up until the second to last chapter of my story. Don't expect to see it any time soon. Its orbital ring does...well...let's just say a good number of things. >,>

Go Nephtis!
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Strike Zero

Updatez on the Gundam Loli itself have been put on hold for the time being. Instead, we now have artwork for her pilot.

Though this is by no means the first character I've ever rendered in Photoshop, she is the most recent and by far one of the best-est. It's not the first time I've ever completed a render of her either, having previously attempted to do so almost a year ago. I still have it and would post it here to give y'all a comparison... except for the fact that I nearly threw up after double clicking on the darned thing.

It's seriously that bad. My face was stuck like this for several minutes afterward. I do not wish to subject anybody to the same kind of utter horror.

...Unless, of course, somebody really wants to see it.
Gaiden1992

Hey, before I make my request I'd just like to say I love your work. I was wondering if you could recolor a franken I'm working on.

This is (or should i say will be) the RL-N1 Rex, the main mobile suit for the army in the sci-fi universe i've created.
http://s665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16 ... -N1Rex.gif
All the recoloring attempts I've tried just keep coming out wierd looking, so I decided to ask an artist.

I'd like the main body to be a gunmetal gray lighter than the gray on the feet (you can keep that gray).
Then I'd like the reds and golds on the suit darkened a bit.
The head can be colored whatever gray you choose for the body, the eye slits can stay black, and i'd like that yellow speck to be the same red you choose for the trim.
Finally on the ZAKU shield things, you can keep the white trim and change the green to the base gray.

Sorry for the intense description.
It's my world, you just don't know it yet.

Killzone: A World of War RP
Strike Zero

I have no problem doing it, but... do you really want me working with that puny of an image? I assume it was simply incorrectly resized, so get me the original and I'll get to work on it ASAP.
Gaiden1992

Crap, I didn't know it was that small, sorry about that. Let's see if this is better.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv16 ... 1242579408

Strike Zero

Gaiden1992

I think I love you. The Rex turned out greater than I could have expected. Thanks again! If I may ask, what program did you use to recolor it?

Zangetsu

Hey Strike I know your are busy with others request for the TARRRPG, but could you add Zangetsu to the list characters you're doing? I would be interested to see your take on him. If you could and need any help just give me a PM. Take as long as you need.
"Paladin Anderson, Executioner Anderson, Bayonet Anderson, Dust to Dust Anderson, Assassin Anderson, Regenerator Anderson, Killing Judge Anderson"-Millennium Soldiers
Strike Zero

Gaiden1992 wrote:I think I love you. The Rex turned out greater than I could have expected. Thanks again! If I may ask, what program did you use to recolor it?
That would be my good ol', trusty Photoshop 6.

Ah, Photoshop... I know not what I'd do without ye. :)
Gaiden1992

Hey Zero, what did you think of the Rex? Was it good for a first run?

Strike Zero

If you want my honest opinion, I would have to say that you didn't make the best choices in terms of parts. The biggest problem the Rex has is the ZAKU shields -- their design aesthetics, especially the spikes, don't match the rest of the body at all (which is really weird, considering that the legs also came from the ZAKU but fit with the rest of the upper body perfectly). If it weren't for those, I'd say that the design was almost perfect.

It's not bad for a first franken -- keep it up and you'll be better than no time.
Gaiden1992

I actually didn't like the spikes either. I got rid of them on the right shield but didn't really see how without f***ing up the left shield. I can honestly say I didn't spend enough time looking for parts. Do you know another unit with similar type shoulder shields?

Strike Zero

I personally would recommend this. If that doesn't suite your fancy, there's also this, this, this, and this, off the top of my head.
Gaiden1992

Hmm, I could see the shoulder shields from the Tieren are smaller and might fit the Rex better. I could also do the shields from the third one of the Rex ACE I'm working on.

Edit: On another note, do you have any ideas for units with tight looking boosters. The Rex ACE is a high mobility type built for...well...aces. I have some from the GINN High Mobility Type but do you have any other suggestions?

Edit 2: Okay, I had some free time, so here's my next project. The Rex ACE. Could you re-color it in the same colors as the Rex? Opinions too.

Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

(AH, how did I forget this one??)
Strike Zero wrote:Updatez on the Gundam Loli itself have been put on hold for the time being. Instead, we now have artwork for her pilot.

Though this is by no means the first character I've ever rendered in Photoshop, she is the most recent and by far one of the best-est. It's not the first time I've ever completed a render of her either, having previously attempted to do so almost a year ago. I still have it and would post it here to give y'all a comparison... except for the fact that I nearly threw up after double clicking on the darned thing.

It's seriously that bad. My face was stuck like this for several minutes afterward. I do not wish to subject anybody to the same kind of utter horror.

...Unless, of course, somebody really wants to see it.
My reaction.

Nah, I'm just joking.

I think you did a pretty good job of coloring this. There are a couple of errors you made on Elya though. You'll have to forgive me ahead of time, because the wording of pointing out this first error is so serious that it will sound like I am kicking you directly in the balls. Again, just brace yourself. While both are drawn well, I would say that her face may not be lined up with the way her head is set. Looking at her jawline and ear, there seems to be too much space between that and everything else. Your easiest fix is to erase the jawline and ear and move them closer. Don't worry, I get alignment errors all the time. A similar problem happens on the boots. I don't think the lines look proper for the angle you are trying to get. That sort of thing needs practice. I suck at footwear also.

And I don't mind seeing that earlier attempt on Elya. For shits and giggles.

And have you done any more work recently, sir? =)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Wingnut

Seraphic wrote:And have you done any more work recently, sir? =)
He has indeed.
Elya gets a haircut.

A custom Astray for Kylern. (Critique not desired.)

A Jagd Doga mod that looks to kick much arse.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Strike Zero

Yo. Howz da' world hanging?
Seraphic wrote:I think you did a pretty good job of coloring this. There are a couple of errors you made on Elya though. You'll have to forgive me ahead of time, because the wording of pointing out this first error is so serious that it will sound like I am kicking you directly in the balls. Again, just brace yourself. While both are drawn well, I would say that her face may not be lined up with the way her head is set. Looking at her jawline and ear, there seems to be too much space between that and everything else. Your easiest fix is to erase the jawline and ear and move them closer. Don't worry, I get alignment errors all the time. A similar problem happens on the boots. I don't think the lines look proper for the angle you are trying to get. That sort of thing needs practice. I suck at footwear also.
Nah, I don't mind at all, 'cuz I can see what you're getting at and am not really at all surprised that such an error exists. For you see, I suck when it comes to drawing heads. Sometimes I can get lucky and can put one out on the first try. More often than not, I will instead devote more than half the time spent working on a single piece to adjusting a characters facial features, be it spacing of the eyes, the position of the nose, the shape of the mouth, the curvature of the jaw or simply the overall sizing of the head, attempting to get them to look at least decently right in correlation to each other and still not succeeding in the end, eventually just tossing my hands up in defeat and hoping that I can somehow fix it in Photoshop later. So, no, I don't blame you at all for the forward criticism, because it's pretty accurate. If you've got any tips that could maybe give me some help, maybe even fix this problem I've had for years, I'd take them up in a second T_T.

As for the boots, I honestly never pay very much attention to my character's footware. I could make them look good if I really wanted to. I just... well, never really feel it's all that important. All I usually do is figure out what kind of shoe they would wear and draw something that vaguely resembles that kind of shoe.

Meh. :P
Seraphic wrote:And I don't mind seeing that earlier attempt on Elya. For ZOINKS and giggles.
Just remember: you asked for it.

*ducks and plugs ears*
Seraphic wrote:And have you done any more work recently, sir? =)
I have indeed. As Wingnut indicated, those three are my most recent works. However, I wouldn't recommend looking too hard when scrutinizing them. The hair-cut Elya was scribbled out in 10-20 minutes and colored in even less time. "Quality" wasn't so much my concern as it was "just-get-it-done-and-posted-as-fast-as-you-can". The last two are frankens and not even really worth talking about. These days, I franken only when I feel too lazy to draw, though I'll admit that it is easier to make pieces look more "professional", I'll say, through frankening rather than hand-drawing.

The rest of my stuff is more character art for the recently-moved Totally Awesome Random Robot RPG. They aren't really that mecha-related other than the fact that they all pilot mecha in some form or another, but hey, what the hell. I might as well post something to make this post a legitimate update.

Tallis Stenner - A request made by Sume Gai for one of his characters, Tallis is a mechanic aboard one of the good-guys ships. I was later told that I had gotten her "personality" wrong -- she was supposed to look quiet and timid instead of spunky and confident. I thought she looked better this way, but that's just me. Needless to say, her hair was an absolute b*tch to draw.
Lucia Kamiya - A young mobile suit pilot, I was asked to draw this by Omega. I got this one done rather quickly, so there are a few things wrong with her that I didn't notice until afterward (primarily the shape of her right hand and the way her hair is drawn) but I did end up liking the "motion" I put into her pose.
Hanzo - He's a samurai. With swords. Not much more to it than that. :P Out of all my recent works, this guy is my favorite. I feel like I really nailed his look, that he came out exactly the way I was picturing him in my head. Probably has something to do with the fact that I didn't have to draw a face.
Diablous - I swear, sometimes my brain runs like its on meth or something. The inspiration for that guy came from me randomly wondering what a human version of Diablomon would look like. No really, that was it. Looking at it now, he came out quite sloppy-looking. But, his personality is pretty unstable, so I guess that works.
Gabriel - I learned something after this first time trying to draw a bishounen-character: I'm not good at it. Everything about this guy just came out looking weird. All of his body parts are way too long, the lines are sloppy, and his hair just didn't come out right. Oh well, it is what it is.
Miser - If Gabriel's the bishounen, then Miser was my attempt at a stripperific-bishoujo. That's... really all I was shooting for with this one, now that I think about it. Oh, she's is in fact blind, in case you were wondering.
The Nova Prince - This one speaks for itself, I hope. Evil personified in purple armor. Again, this guy not having a face allowed me to focus more on the details of his costume, of which I'm sure you can tell I had a good deal of fun with. So long as he's striking fear into your heart, I'm happy.

--
Well, there you have it. Everything I've drawn since the last one in all of their (un)glory. With any luck, my crusade to provide art for all custom characters in the TARRRPG will continue.

Now ONWARD UNTO ETERNAL GLORY~!
Heretic

I really like the armour on Hanzo, Samurai style Plate armour. I’ve wanted to do something similar with a fantasy character of mine but the attempts have one and all failed. Did you use any sort of reference or tutorials to get the armour down? I could use some advice for my own works.
Everything I know about rock music, I learned from K-ON!!
Strike Zero

Heretic wrote:I really like the armour on Hanzo, Samurai style Plate armour. I’ve wanted to do something similar with a fantasy character of mine but the attempts have one and all failed. Did you use any sort of reference or tutorials to get the armour down? I could use some advice for my own works.
Tutorial? None that I can speak of. Though it's been a while, I believe what I did do was draw upon my memory of normal samurai representations I'd seen in the past. I didn't have a good samurai picture on hand, you see. I remember then that in order to get the "metal" look down, I approached drawing the armor as if I were drawing mobile suit armor, while at the same time applying samurai elements to the thing. After a bit of experimenting, the design was finalized.

If that helps at all, I'll be glad. If not... well, I dunno. :P

In the meantime, I've got another franken for y'all. I'm actually rather proud of this particular one, so comments/critiques are welcome. Just make sure you don't say anything that might prompt it to eat your face. It's temperamental like that. :P