Josh's Old Franken Thread

The place to share your artwork.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Something tells me that it'd be pretty cool with handguns, too. Give that a try. :wink:

Ah, and congrats on your thread hitting 100 posts. =) I'll get there one of these years....
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Josh

something good will come... eventually

Well, it's been a while, too long if you ask me but I've been stuck in a rut with frankening as usual along with real life troubles.

So I decided to mess around with the Gundam Project lineart again.

This time I've recreated the very first franken I ever made, a humble combination of the Gundam MKII and the Ez8 I dubbed the Gray Fox (just getting into Metal Gear Solid, so yeah, I got the name from that).

However, knowing how I am, nothing ever goes completely according to plan. This suit was originally going to be called "Gray Fox Reprise"; I ended up changing the colors from what I used on the original and one thing led to another. I ended up deciding to calling it "Shadow Fox." This time ripping off a name from Zoids and probably a million other things, Zoids is all I can think of that uses that name.

I've rambled on enough, here's the result of this quick foray back into my roots:

RGM-79X55 GM Experimental Type 55 "Shadow Fox"
Devon Hajime Colors (commander type)
Jack Morse Colors
Kallera Cameron Colors

As with just about everything I make I did come up with a halfassed backstory to these and their pilots but I won't waste my breath telling it. This is simply more filler inbetween my bigger franken projects which are all either at a halt or hiatus.

Comments and crit welcome and desired.
Lt.Harrison

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (5/02 - meh, sort of new)

They all lokk extremely cool especially those last RGM models, i was also wondering if you'd be able to modify a k ampfer-U for me i'd be much appreciative. if you can message me.
185th Heavy Mobile Suit Division
ShadowCell

Lt.Harrison, quit bugging people about your request. You made it already in the Request thread. If nobody fills it (and that's likely, since you provided such a tiny picture), then that's the way it is.
Lt.Harrison

Well than you try to find a bigger picture because i certainly cant.
185th Heavy Mobile Suit Division
Josh

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (All I make are previews.)

Well now, I guess now's a better time than any to make things clear.

I'm very scatterbrained. I know well of the in-progress designs I've been showing off and never delivering on, So I'll make this clear if I haven't already.

Voltega was trashed sometime back, I realized what I was trying to do with it was way over my abilities and I'd have made it easier on myself if I just set out to draw out a completely original mech in the first place. Live and learn as they say.

I currently have 6 projects involving frankens. 1 of those projects is an update to my Vagabond knightmare frame, another is that torso I posted (see above post). Another at the moment is just another torso, however when completed I'm thinking it's going to be a Victory Gundam era MS design. The fourth is something I'd like to not reveal at the moment, however I will say it's sort of in a way a collaborative franken (in the loosest sense of the word). The fifth is what I started right after I trashed Voltega, that work however is on the cutting table, chances are it will be trashed.

Finally there's the reason what I'm really making this post for. I currently have something in the works that I'm pretty enthusiastic about so I feel it will be finished indefinitely.

For those that bothered to read through this post and care, here it is so far. And if you must know, yes I was inspired to make this after Red Zaku revealed his GN-V. Kudos to him for making such an awesome custom.
ydawg314

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (Progression Update-o)

looking cool Josh
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
Josh

[!]

Well it's done, thanks to some suggestions from Shori I do think this my favorite one yet.

GN-X Ground Enforcer Type

Model Number: GNX-609T-[GE]
Model Name: GN-X Ground Enforcer Type
Unit type: Experimental Ground Combat Mobile Suit
Head height: 19.0 meters
Overall weight: 71.1 metric tons
Equipment: GN Tau Drive
Armament: GN lance w/rifle x 1, GN vulcan gun x 2, GN claw x 2, Modified GN shield x 2, GN beam saber x 2, GN beam rifle x 1
Information: With the Reemergence of Celestial Being, A-Laws is forced to devote most of their forces to defeating the Gundam Meisters. With Katharon still waging war in the middle east the Earth Federation experiments with one of its proposed designs for a new GN-X model. The GN-X Ground Enforcer Type is completely devoted to ground combat, featuring a modified thruster system for more output at a more efficient rate, modified feet design for a GN-hovering effect providing speed and mobility, a heavier E-Carbon armor for extra protection, and two modified GN shields mounted on both shoulders providing even more protection. A suit designed specifically with countering Katharon in mind this GN-X proves to be a highly effective force against previous generation suits. With the higher cost to convert the GN-XIII to this variation and A-Laws dominating the federal budget only four Ground Enforcer Types are completed and put into service in the middle east.
Turinu

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (6-28 - GN-X Ground Enforcer Type)

Nice work! This really turned out just as I was hoping it would. I really like the gritty feel you gave to it, and the design works great, too! As I said in IM earlier, Hades-style two thumbs up! Can't wait to see more, :D
Antares

Very, very cool! Excellent coloring!
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
ScornMandark

Fantastic mecha, man! I really like the grime swirled in the coloring, how do you keep the grime smears from feeling overboard? I can never get the streaks to go in the right direction...
The Mekton Zeta Mailing List wrote:27. I will not put emergency destruct devices in my mecha. I will put them in my pilots. Nothing motivates like thermite.
ShadowCell

And, for that matter, how did you color the condensers?
Josh

ShadowCell wrote:And, for that matter, how did you color the condensers?
My memory might not be exactly right but the basics of it was I took the darkest and maybe lightest color from the condensers on the lineart of the GN-XIII, made radial gradients with those two colors, added a very light pink highlight to them set on overlay? maybe and then took a dark purple and brushed that on the side of the condensers I thought the depth should be and set that layer to either overlay or multiply and turned down the opacity. Lastly I added a outer glow using the very light pink. I did this specifically by copying the layers the radial gradients were on, setting their fills to 0%, and erasing where I saw fit to give it a realistic glow.

Yes it sounds very complicated but it isn't really when actually doing it. I probably didn't explain it exactly right but if you really want to know I could send you the original psd of it so you can see exactly what it is.

edit: and for the eyes I just did that all manually by brushing the two colors, the highlight color, and I think setting the highlight color to overlay.
ShadowCell

Eh, I can figure it out myself. Thanks.
Josh

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (All I make are previews.)

Josh wrote: I currently have 6 projects involving frankens... The fourth is something I'd like to not reveal at the moment, however I will say it's sort of in a way a collaborative franken (in the loosest sense of the word).
Daeg Hagal Nexus

One day while during a IM convo with Shori, I decided I'd attempt to make my own version of his maybe most popular franken, The Daeg Hagal. With the O.K. from him I got to work taking my personal favorite parts from the various versions of the suit and adding a twist to the proportions that was more in tune with what's pleasing to my eye.

That was months ago and after finishing the GN-X Enforcer Type I finally decided to finish this. I haven't thought up much of a serious back story to this thing or even attempted to write up stats. Since this is just more or less a tribute to Shori's awesome franken skills I don't think I really have to write up stats or explain exactly where this thing would fit into Shori's universe.

Again, much thanks to Shori, there for all sporadic moments I worked on this thing giving advice and what not.
Turinu

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (7-2 - Daeg Hagal!?!?)

Quite delicious, :D. It has a very menacing, imposing feel to it with it's dark blue color scheme and slim, streamlined design. Love how your eyes come out feeling like they're glowing; makes it look more intimidating. :D
Josh

10-2-09 - A new development

Well, I'm so excited for this I can't even wait until I begin the trace so I'll post a little teaser.

???

I might finish another suit before this but expect both sooner than I usually take.

EDIT: I'm redoing the head on the Gundam, the other suit I mentioned might get scrapped altogether as well since I'm not liking how it's coming out.
Last edited by Josh on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antares

Re: Josh's Mecha Hangar (10/2 - What lies ahead+new index)

It indeed seems to be a Gundam! :D Looks a little AD, style-wise.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.