Josh's Old Franken Thread

The place to share your artwork.
Josh

What's this? Again with a delayed response with a new design? Another one of his "I abandoned this story for a fanfic for this new one I'm working and going to do more mecha designs for" deals yet again?

Yeah, I gave up on the ideas I had behind the Genese for a new completely original story I might have mentioned but too lazy to go back to make sure if I actually did. As it goes now I've began doing the line work for my latest design. This particular mech is very special to me because I've spent nearly a year working on it (yes, off and on and far and inbetween but still about a year now).

I want this to be a masterpiece of my current range of ability in the frankening department. As it stands I'd say the design is currently say 10% completed, I've gotten the head complete and have just began my initial design for the torso which will be modified heavily from what you will see.

So without further ado, I present my current WIP,

Current working name "Voltega"

The torso still has a lot of refinement and revisioning left to do on it as I've said but I'm emphasizing the overall design of this mech to be as original as possible while retaining hints of stylizings from Gundam and other shows like Full Metal Panic and The Mars Daybreak. You also might see a bit of the ascetic of the Genese in it as well when I've finally finished it. Also look forward to me posting the first chapter of the story the Voltega will play a part in sometime after I've developed the plot more and find some beta readers and editors.

I guess that's it for no...NO WAIT!

I just couldn't keep myself away from the Gundam Project lineart forever! Here's a franken I created for EZero8's Dominion's Rise fanfic.

The Pawn

No equips for it yet but whenever I get a list from EZ I'll start work on them.

That's really it for now. :P
Last edited by Josh on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turinu

The Voltega is turning out to look pretty sleek and advanced, I really like the head design so far.

Nice to see you designing things again, keep up the good work~
Josh

Thanks Shori, with luck and patience I can finally create something with the level of consistency and quality you can do so well in your designs.
Josh

Well I suppose if anyone might be interested I'll continuously post the progress I've made on Voltega until its completion whenever I am able.

Here's the completed torso and head, now for the parts I have the most trouble with: the legs.

Voltega @ about 30% completion?

Something about legs and arms always seems to throw me off so the next time I update might be a while, as you can probably tell I'm putting everything I can into this design.
Turinu

Ugh, the legs are my most hateful part when it comes to designing frankens. Here's to hoping you find or make a good pair to go with this nice looking design~
Josh

The Voltega hit a big snag once I began working on the legs. The way I do my frankens most of the time is I piece together the entire suit then just do the final line art accordingly but seeing as how I deviated so far from the original line art that the torso made up I hit a snag with not being able to do the same with the legs or arms. :/ I also get this stupid kind of block in my head whenever I focus on a franken for a while where I just begin to think the whole design is ugly and end up revising it over and over until I get fed up and scrap the whole thing (this might very well be why I produce so little compared to other people here). It's hard doing this alone and with such a limit pool of line art even after some scowering of the internets.

So for the time being I'm taking a break from Voltega and focusing on some easer things whenever I have time to franken. I'm looking into beginning to franken some knightmare frames since seeing Shori's I've gained an interest in them (much more than I can say for the series itself).

Also another less complicated thing I've started on is revising the Victory Gundams. As much as I do enjoy Hajime Katoki's designs I've always felt the Victory and V2 were stubby and slightly misproportioned in terms of the common Gundam. With the wonders of Photoshop I've began to correct those problems and shall trace over the results as per the usual franken.

Here's a little preview with my corrected proportions of the Victory compared to the original line art.

Katoki's Victory compared to my "Ver. J"

Any comments you'd like to make to the proportions are fine, I'd actually appreciate if you point out anything you think you may see wrong or something else you feel should be done.

That's it pretty much, sorry I don't have more to contribute.

edit: there's actually something else

A little ways back I also began messing around with redoing/updating my old Robinson franken to my current style. So maybe expect some long overdue Robinson love sometime in the future.
Josh

(edited to include the Gun-V specs)

Completed my Victory Gundam "Ver. J"

Victory Gundam "Ver. J"

...AAAANND, decided to whip up a variation for the september contest:

Gun-V

-with specs!-

Model number: LM111E04
Code name: Gun-V
Unit type: prototype general purpose space type mobile suit
Manufacturer: League Militaire
Operator: League Militaire
First deployment: never deployed/unused design
Accommodation: pilot only, in panoramic monitor/linear seat cockpit in torso
Dimensions: head height 14.9 meters
Weight: empty 7.6 metric tons; max gross 17.7 tons
Armor materials: gundarium alloy/super-ceramic composite
Powerplant: Minovsky type ultracompact fusion reactor, output rated at 4720 kW
Propulsion: rocket thrusters: 20180 kg, 18630 kg, 2 x 15520 kg, 2 x 10870 kg; vernier thrusters/apogee motors: 47
Performance: maximum thruster acceleration: mobile suit mode 4.50 G
Equipment and design features: sensors, range unknown;
Fixed armaments: 2 x vulcan gun, fire-linked, mounted in head; beam saber, stored in recharge rack on torso right shoulder, hand-carried in use; 2-tube multi-launcher, mounted on torso left shoulder
Optional fixed armaments: beam shield, mounted on either forearm; spider net
Optional hand armaments: beam rifle, powered by rechargeable energy cap; beam bazooka, powered by rechargeable energy cap

Additional Information: As the Zanscare War raged on the League Militaire was looking for ways to update their mainstay mass production suit the Gun-EZ. Ultimately two suits were created. One was the Gunblaster, a direct upgrade to the Gun-EZ. On the other hand there was the humble Gun-V. The Gun-V was developed solely in mind to attempt to outmatch the Victory Gundam as it was soon to recieve its upgrades to the V Gundam Hexa. The Gun-V's design was basically a dumbed down version of the Victory itself, and pretty much close to matching the performance of the Gunblaster. In the end however, the Gun-V's design proved to be too costly for the League Militaire and it was decided that the Gunblaster was the easiest and most efficient way to improve their mass production line.

............................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNND, a little update on Voltega (hopefully this is the last tweaking to the torso I'll do)

Voltega gots a new chest :o
Last edited by Josh on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScornMandark

I love the proportions of your V! It looks immensly better, and the Gun-V looks looks like a very natural progression from the V line. Nice!
The Mekton Zeta Mailing List wrote:27. I will not put emergency destruct devices in my mecha. I will put them in my pilots. Nothing motivates like thermite.
Josh

In other news,

50%
Dynames

Josh wrote:In other news,

50%
Very Nice, nice progress so far
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBQvDu2KCk
One reason why 0083 Stardust Memory is one of the Best
krullnar

It looks really good I like it.
ShadowCell - Mr. T doesn't read YouTube comments. Neither does Jesus. Or MacGuyver. Don't you want to be like Mr. T, Jesus, and MacGuyver?
Josh

Hey gang, not too big of an update but I do have a slightly tweaked version of my Victory Gundam to show you. Mostly just some cosmetic fixes as well as a slightly darker shadow to accent the shading more. The face is probably the most modded area. I decided I misinterpreted the original line art and have modified it to have a more contemporary (to Gundam) and determined look.

Victory Gundam Version J-II

In other news I'm currently still struggling to break through the block I've developed in my break from the Voltega. After scrapping a nearly complete set of legs I've opted to give a break until I can finally do away with this block by designing some mass production designs that I might include into my story I've also been struggling to develop.

There's also the prospect of the possible V2 Version J I alluded to earlier.

The franken block is going around apparently, and it really sucks.

EDIT: I also went ahead and started a DA profile for myself, I'll be updating it periodically with my work when I find the time and energy.

http://hazardmachine.deviantart.com
Josh

The real nightmare is this thread.

(emopost)
Last edited by Josh on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinninggundam

i like those frankens...the Genese is freaking awesome. i got a test for you. When your done with that new one, put it togeather with Genese for a majorly sick design.
ydawg314

The absolution looks really cool.
Josh

My First Knightmare Frame: Junkyard KMF "Vagabond Type

Well it's completed at last. My first ever attempt at creating a custom Knightmare Frame. I think I did a pretty decent job if I do say so myself.

So here it is!

The Magnificent Junkyard-Made KMF: The Vagabond Type 1"

The summarized backstory to this guy is basically that 50 years after the events of Code Geass, KMF technology has been at a standstill because of the lack of a need to use them. However, people begin competitively fighting with refurbished KMFs and a new sport is found in local KMF fighting tournaments. This knightmare in particular though, shares parts with an unknown KMF, found badly trashed under a heap of broken down units. It's restructured into the Vagabond Type 1. To differentiate it from the numerous other KMF's it fights with, the pilot engraves an "X" onto its chest, simply because in his opinion it looks cool.

Since I've started on this, I might as well say I do plan on making upgrades to it possibly until I can have a Type 2 and 3, all increasingly customized until I can get it as original as possible. Who knows when this will happen though.
Turinu

As I said on AIM, this is some good stuffs. I really like the blue coloring for most of the frame. Hope to see more soon!
Shinninggundam

Thats pretty badass. I'm not up to knightmares yet, but i hope to get something as good as that.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Damn, this one looks really clean, Josh. =)

The lineart was solid, and I think the color work was extremely well done. I tend to like darker color schemes that don't burn the retinas. =p That, or white, haha. White always works for me.

The frame looks like it emphasizes speed or mobility over strength. What's the performance on this thing supposed to be like? What sort of weapons?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Josh

Seraphic wrote:Damn, this one looks really clean, Josh. =)

The lineart was solid, and I think the color work was extremely well done. I tend to like darker color schemes that don't burn the retinas. =p That, or white, haha. White always works for me.

The frame looks like it emphasizes speed or mobility over strength. What's the performance on this thing supposed to be like? What sort of weapons?
Certainly speed and mobility is an emphasis as I changed the look of the landspinner(s) a bit to signify they're different then your average set; they're intended to reach higher max speeds although I'm not sure exactly how fast yet :P.

I've been talking with Shori as he mentioned over AIM about this thing and so far all I've really come up with is that the slash harkens it has are special in that their cables are much stronger than your usual harken's and they actually have the ability to rotate 360 degrees around the shoulder joint so they can pretty much fire in any direction. Besides that I haven't really thought up much in this machine's armaments but I'm inclined to think that it'd be best suited to melee combat and as such I'll limit this one's arsenal to mainly a sword or two perhaps. This is not to say that it will never see action with a gun however.