Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

The place to share your artwork.
Dark Duel

Re: Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

And now for something a little different.
I've been for quite some time now fiddling with a custom design for Destiny Gundam that, in essence, is meant to be essentially this thing on steroids - largely addressing my main problem with Destiny, which is that its armament is ridiculously poorly thought-out IMO.
(Yes, by the way, I did reverse the orientation of the cannons on that pic)

Anyway, after some fiddling I got a weapon layout design that I was satisfied with was more practical than the canon Destiny's LOLHUGE folding cannon and sword.

The "Arondight" beam sword is removed in favor of a pair of Heavy Anti-Ship Beam Sabers, which I christened "Moralltach".
I say "beam sabers" and not "beam swords" because they are essentially that - there is no physical blade: They are beam sabers whose blades are long enough and powerful enough to be effective as anti-ship weapons.
"Moralltach", by the way, is a sword taken from Irish mythology, whose name translates loosely to "Great Fury", which I felt was appropriate.

The ginormous cannon of the Destiny is likewise eliminated, in favor of a pair of more compact beam cannons, deployed under the arm to fire.

So anyway, I took the Destiny Gundam and swapped out its canon weapons for this new set.
HERE IS VERSION ONE, sporting the same colors as Destiny in the series.

In addition to the first image above, I did VERSION TWO, sporting a more uniform color scheme derived from Destiny Impulse Unit 3's.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

Dark Duel wrote:Ver 1(blue)
Ver 2 (red)
As usual, feedback is welcome.
A mixture of boredom and nostalgia led me to revisit this old idea.
Left is the original. Right is my recolor, intended to be closer to its animated equivalent
Thoughts?

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Omega

Nice work Dark Duel... The custom Destiny feels... a tad awkward but intriguing. *Likes new Destiny's Destiny Impulse colors* :)

Also, this may just be me liking the color red on mecha, but I think your Wing repaint looks neat.
Dark Duel

Hehe...the design has actually slightly evolved from this version, but I'm gonna keep it a secret for now until the kit's built. But I liked those colors too, so thats what I went with :P
(Oh, and if you thought the Arondight was big, including blade length each of those big sabers on its back is only slightly smaller...and they can dock into a single weapon like the Excalibur ASBS(from which they are built), with the combined form's length being roughly equal to 3x the Destiny's head height.

Thanks for the feedback, BTW...but now my latest Katoki-Wing recolor is making me want to get the kit so I can do it in those colors...and my TV Wing isn't even built yet. >_<

Dark Duel

And now, for something totally different. This is a custom I did for an RPG I'm in.
It's called the Praetorian, and it's meant to be a next-generation limited-production mobile suit:
Praetorian standard type 1
Praetorian standard type 2
Praetorian Custom 1
Praetorian Custom 2
Praetorian Custom 3

Loosely related is this:
Vigilance Gundam 1
Vigilance Gundam 2
Last edited by Dark Duel on Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dark Duel

Destroy recolor
Yes, I know the black makes it basically the Psyco Gundam's colors...that was kinda the point. Even though my version of the Destroy omits that goofy transformation, so it's less a Psyco Gundam wannabe than it is a Big Zam expy, but w/e.

Omega

...That Praetorian looks cool. As does your custom Gundam.
Dark Duel

Thank you.
I actually wanted to name that particular machine Anglachel, but it didn't quite fit in thematically with the previous machines in the lineup for that faction in the RP I created it for, which had had Imperial Roman military rank names. *shrugs*

I've also made some modifications to my Destiny custom lineart, but I'm not quite done yet, so I won't post that just yet.
PS: The kit's getting close to built, too, but that's a topic for another thread :wink:

Dark Duel

I'm just gonna leave this right here. Also, here's a slightly different one.
By the way, the kit itself is built too. See that thread shortly for a photo.

Omega

That's your Destiny Gundam revamp, right? I say the repaint with more black on it looks better, but that's me.
Dark Duel

That's the one. As I said, I also built the kit - there's photos posted in my Gunpla thread. Took about a year to complete, and I am really glad it's done.

EDIT: I also went back and retweaked the Impulse design to eliminate those ridiculous little pocket-knives, giving it a pair of beam sabers instead. See the altered images here:
ZGMF-X56S Impulse Gundam (Base Unit)
ZGMF-X56S/α Force Impulse
ZGMF-X56S/β Sword Impulse
ZGMF-X56S/γ Blast Impulse
ZGMF-X56S/η Storm Impulse

And I also posted up a second color scheme for the Storm Impulse as well.

Dark Duel

Boredom + Photoshop + JAM PROJECT = this

Wingnut

A broken link?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Well, something seems to be going on, but the link's working fine on this end.
*shrugs*
Let's try this again.

Dark Duel

Found some larger, better quality art, so I redid the Yorugane - Space Noah-class, essentially combining the best aspects of two of the ships of that class:
Link 1
Link 2

I also did this one, the Seiryu:
Link 1
Link 2

Arbiter GUNDAM

Very nice. Me likey. Do they have any backstory?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Dark Duel

Not much yet.
The Yorugane is intended to be the fourth ship of the Space Noah-class. Not sure who its CO is yet; assuming I ever do anything with it, it would be either a post-OG2 story or an AU. It has the Shirogane's additional catapults, plus the Tronium Buster Cannon.
The Seiryu is a pure exercise in recoloring; a hypothetical sister ship to the Hiryu Custom.

Dark Duel

Yeah, I was bored.
The Silhouettes for the Impulse.
Instead of a separate Silhouette Flyer that delivers the pack, ejects them, and then falls into a plot hole (presumably returning to the ship?), I decided to integrate the guidance systems used for delivery into the Silhouette Packs themselves, and I used the nose cone from the Akatsuki's flight pack, since I'm tweaking the Akatsuki's design (when it appears) so that it doesn't have that nosecone hanging there that doesn't actually do anything.
Meh.
Unfortunately, the Storm Silhouette art had to be cobbled together from not-quite-compatible images, so it looks kinda sucky. Sorry. Normally in this configuration the swords would be laid out horizontally like on the Sword Silhouette, but I could not quite manage to make that work. It'll do for now, though.

Dark Duel

AGE-2 Normal in DH colors (almost).
Just because I felt like it. The center piece of the chest from DH is added on, and two versions of Strider Mode - one with the Hyper-DODS Rifle, one with the DODS Lancer. Just 'cuz.
Here is the exact same thing in the Normal's colors.
And a couple of extra paint jobs:
white
white/black
Next I might similarly recolor the DB - or well, that version of it that I did a while back that has the H-DODS Rifle.

Dark Duel

Newest little project: Because overkill is underrated.