Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

The place to share your artwork.
Dark Duel

Re: Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

When the AGE-2DB was revealed during AGE's second arc, I (and, I'm sure, many others) joked that it was what the Gaplant would look like if it were a Gundam.
So I eventually decided to give the AGE-2DB* a paint scheme inspired by the Gaplant's colors.
Then I decided it looked pretty cool in blue and white, too. And then I remembered that there was a blue/white Gaplant, too :P
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

AGE-2 Normal in blue/white colors similar to the above, with the standard white faceplate.
And here it is with the faceplate in blue, which I personally like rather better.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

More AGE-2 shop work. This time, it's a full set of MS and Strider Mode lineart for The combined form of the AGE-2's two Wears. I designated it AGE-2S, but I still don't have a name for it yet.
And yes, I know. I've done it before.
Well, I decided I wasn't terribly satisfied with how the other one came out, so I did it over. Plus I also did additional views, like the MS mode rear and the Strider Mode underside views.

I know a while back there was a professional modeler who did something like this with the HG kit, though his had the wings fixed to the outside of the shields and a whole bunch of aesthetic mods that overall ended up looking too busy. I've been meaning to do something similar but a little simpler with mine. Now though, I'm just going to hold off on that and wait for the MG :P

I did two custom color jobs, too:
Version 1 (Blue)
Version 2 (Red)...Well actually, I did this one first, then recolored it in blue. This one comes second because afterwards I changed something else, too.

Omega

Not bad. This custom AGE-2 looks pretty cool. :)
Dark Duel

Thanks. It was pretty time-consuming, but not terribly difficult. The toughest part was getting the DODS Lancer to look more or less right on the MS mode pic, since AFAIK there's no lineart of the Dark Hound actually holding its DODS Lancer in MS-mode, so I had to use the Lancer from the DH Strider Mode lineart and sort of tweak it to fit instead of the H-DODS Rifle.
Still haven't yet decided which paint job I'll use.
Maybe the red - I don't have any MS in red, and I have a couple already that are blue - especially my current pride and joy, my custom Destiny Gundam, which is that exact shade of blue at that (maybe slightly darker)

Omega

Well... go with red for a change of pace then... ? *Goes to look at Red AGE-2* How the heck did I miss the DODS Lancer....
Dark Duel

And now, for something a little different:
RGE-1500C Adele MkII Cannon
Ground Type
Space Type
Kind of obvious - an Adele MkII with the arms from the Adele Cannon. The legs are the MkII's, but with the knee armor from the Cannon.
Also, AGE-1C Gundam AGE-1 Cannon

Dark Duel

Another AGE custom, this time crossing over to mess a bit with Vagan design.
Haven't figured out a name for it yet
And yet another custom color job for the AGE-2 Custom I've already been messing with. This one started out as the DH colors, but with white instead of dark gray, and then I switched out the red for blue just to see how it looks.

Thoughts on either?

yazi88

The AGE 2 Custom looks really cool. I think it could use some red on the chest piece and also the white area under the knee. Also the traditional red on chin and eye lids. But I also think the way you colored it looks good too.
Amion

That AGE-2 recolor is absolutely amazing. :D
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Dark Duel

If you liked it, here's two more.
For this one, I used the MSZ-009 Prototype ZZ's colors as an inspiration, fiddling with them a little bit.
Then this one is a variant of that, with some slight adjustments and the blue replaced with red.

EDIT1: I also did a pair of recolors of the AGE-3F, drawing inspiration from the RX-77 GunCannon/RGC-80 GM Cannon.
Version 1.
Version 2. Overall, I think I'm happier with how this one turned out.

Finally, I've been fiddling a bit with the red Legilis from Memories of Eden, because frankly I hate how the purple torso looks.
Again, did two versions:
Version 1 has the torso and feet in black.
Version 2 went instead with a very dark red rather than black, more along the lines of the actual Legilis-R.

EDIT2: While lurking on the FF.net forums, I saw someone suggest the idea of an all-white Legilis. And I'd have to say, not bad-looking

Thoughts?

Amion

I love the all white Legilis. And nice to see your dark torsos on the red version, so many thousands of times better than Dorado purple. However, that white one just nails it. I think it was Shikyoseinen who mentioned liking the parade colors for the white, and I mentioned that I would like to see an all-white Legilis.

So yeah, thank you for coloring that, it is amazing. :D I'd love permission to add this to my fanfic, if only it weren't several years from now when I reach the Legilis....and Ezelcant loves his parade colors, and I plan to have my beloved Ghirarga come across as a mass production Legilis, what you know, with four bit generators instead of the shield generator like the Legilis has.

The wings on the Double Bullet are great, I forgot to mention. I don't care for the red AGE 3 though, somehow darker, less assuming colors fit the Fortress wear.
Dark Duel

Oh, that was you, was it?
Well ain't that fun. Well hey, it was your idea to begin with, so go right ahead.
Hm...this reminds me of an idea I had a while back for a very minor Sinanju Stein mod that, if I end up being able to get ahold of the kit, I'd love to actually build.
I actually came up with it way back when I was designing the Praetorian as a sort of rough first concept, before the finalized version of that machine was complete.
Basically, it's really just Sinanju Stein with the Sinanju's backpack and rifle. And the horn.

EDIT: I couldn't sleep last night, so I did this. Thoughts?

Amion

It's a submarine, correct? Those circular ports on the front and a little to the rear are hatches? For MS or helicopters? I like the look, gives me a funky UC79 vibe, which I love. That or Wing.

Did you do this with pencil and scanning, or is this actually drawn digitally with a bamboo or such?
Dark Duel

- Yes. Those are mobile suit/aircraft launch hatches.
- You were right on the first count - almost. About 90% of the sub is based on the Earth Federation's Juneau-class submarine, from Unicorn. Looking at it, I would hasard a guess that it is the same submarine(or else based on the same submarine) that was captured by Zeon and refit into the Jukon-class.
The dorsal missile launch hatches in front of the sail are from the aforementioned Jukon-class. Specifically, the U-99, from 0080. The sail itself and the back third of the sub are from the seldom-seen Earth Alliance transport/cargo submarine from Seed. The very back of the propulsor and the more elongated bow and its torpedo tubes are adapted from the EA's equally-rare attack submarine.
- None of the above. It's a composite created from pre-existing lineart.

I haven't come up with a good name for her yet. She's about the size of a Project-941 Akula SSBN - though obviously, she lacks ICBM launch capability; eight torpedo tubes (six fore and two aft), ten dorsal tubes for sub-launched cruise missiles, and a modest complement of six mobile suits.
(Note: Project-941 is commonly known in the West by its NATO reporting name, Typhoon. The submarine NATO calls Akula is a wholly different beast)

Oh, and I colored it ;)

Amion

Looks good, although of course the camouflage coloring makes it slightly dull, but that's only practical.
Dark Duel

I've been starting some prep work on a possible slight custom paint scheme for my MG Duel AS, recoloring the light-blue AS parts before I put the thing together, and I did a couple of them.
Recoloring them in either the same light grey as the main body, or the same blue as the knees/shoulders. I also did one in the same dark gray as the internal frame (that one was for a request), and I think I like how it turned out.
Final product will probably end up being a mix of the three - as time allows in the next week or so, I'll keep messing with it.

Dark Duel

Well, Here it is
What do y'all think?

On a totally unrelated note, this is less "Shop-Fu" than it is "assorted artsy stuff" given that it is a kinda-rushed sketch I did in about 30-45 minutes last night. It also has absolutely NOTHING to do with mecha (a first), but IS kinda-sorta anime-related.
So, yeah.
It's a hypothetical rendering of a Saber-class Servant (Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero, etc...).
Now here's a question: WHO is it in that armor?

Dark Duel

red is a weird color for a stealth MS. Yeah, base Blitz in the Nebula Blitz's colors(ish). Except I added the vents to the faceplate. Eventually I plan to do the reverse, and do Neb in Blitz's original colors.
N Dagger colors look a little better, I think. I'll probably try Neb in those colors too.

On another note...
Recognize him?
This is "ND HE" from VS Astray, without that odd-looking mask. I took the head from a single page I found of the manga, cleaned it up and colored it myself working off a couple of color pics of him without the mask. Then I added the helmet from a different character from the same series because I thought it'd look pretty cool.
He really does look a lot like Heero Yuy, doesn't he?

And then I did a couple of recolors of the suit, mostly because I could:
White/Red. Identical to the above, but with the blue swapped for dark red.
White/Black. Again, but this time black.
The next crop are basically the same set of colors, but without the white.
Blue. It occurred to me afterwards that this one kinda looks like the one Flit Asuno wore from Arc 2 onwards in AGE. This then inspired another one of the recolors.
Red. The same as above, but red.
Black. The same as above, but black.
Black/Red. This one is mean to evoke the one wore by Asem Asuno in Arc 3 of Age. Coincidentally, also somewhat similar to the color of the one worn by the character whose helmet I stole for these pics :P

Thoughts? About these or the Duel recolor in the last post?

Amion

I find it interesting that Kira's clone (he is his clone right?) looks like Heero. Especially considering the two are almost polar opposites.

I find the Duel recolor ok, but I personally found the Duel existence rather blasphemous for some strange reason. Yours looks good, has more character than the one shown in SEED. As for the coloring, I'm a bit iffy. :?