Doodling General discussion, lol

The place to share your artwork.
crashlegacy14
Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.

Re: Doodling General discussion, lol

Seraphic wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:Hm. I'm used to drawing on 8.5x11" paper, so would I need to find a tablet that's more or less that big? 'cuz they all seem pretty expensive and that makes me shake my fist at the sky in helpless rage.
I haven't used a tablet before, so this bit of intuition might be useless, but I figured it may not be important to get a tablet the same size as your usual paper canvas because you're often just drawing on a small portion of that paper. I mean, how often are you making pencil strokes that span the entire paper? It may depend on how large/small you are used to drawing.
I'd have to agree here, for instance a good size tablet for me would probably be 3/4ths as big as standard print paper probably even smaller because of the scale I draw. most of my artwork doesn't even take up that much of a page (allowing me to do back and add on the same page later) even when I'm making my longest strokes with the pencil they are rarely more then 5 inches long. ...don't read that with a dirty mind, i'm sure it sounds wrong on several levels.
Seraphic wrote: To avoid rubbing away the graphite on my drawings, I either rotate the paper or cover the previous work with a second sheet of paper, which works surprisingly well. Of course, I try to plan out ways to draw in certain order, too, but it never works out because I always go over my lines again anyway. I think I'm one of the few right-handed persons here.

My tools: mechanical pencil (5mm, 3mm), bristol paper (vellum, smooth), Shop CS4, camera (for WIP record), and a few woodworking (surform rasp) or gemcutting tools (grinding/polishing laps found on campus).
Actually I'm predominately right handed but have largely acquired ambidexterity. that's mainly because for around 6 months or so I couldn't use my right hand...long story I don't particularly care to share. regardless of your handedness it seems when dealing with fully detailed penciled work one eventually comes to the problem of smudging lead. especially if one lives in a very humid climate like the Cajun South.
Seraphic wrote:
crashlegacy14 wrote:that kinda brings me to an idea. back wen I was in collage (few years ago) I would warm up by asking people for the first two words that came to their mind -excluding of course the usual sex related things. these would inevitably be things like "Big Gun," "Emo Cutter," and "Sunrise." I would then use this as the start of an image. perhapse we could do things like that sometime. one of us proposes a set of words or single idea and we see what everyone produces.
"Crab battle."
Crab Battle 3:36 (Min:Sec)

I counter with "Skull Rattle." and no, we don't need to rhyme I just felt like it.
Crash's Mecha Design Works
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
-----------------//-----------
ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.
jjarodurandal

posting my two cents about the issue of tablet size

I use a intuos 3 tablet which has a pretty freakin' huge drawing area. I love it, not because i use the whole space, but because my philosophy is bigger is better, no exceptions.

In reality, i don't use most of the space for drawing, but just the middle area. With a laptop, you can screw with the settings to change how the active area is mapped to your screen. I force the full area of the tablet to match the full area of my screen, so i don't have to worry about running my stylus off the edge, or needing to pick up my mouse to move something into the tablet's field.

Also there's the fact that, unlike pencil and paper, when i use gimp to draw, I can zoom in or out freely. So even though i draw so large that most of my sketches ran off the edges of 8.5 X 11 sheets of paper, i can make a really tiny space in gimp (say 2X2) and as long as the pixels/inch is high enough, i can zoom in and work in painstaking detail.

Hrm... skull rattle you say. I've got an idear. Give me a few minutes in gimp.

...and here we are. Isn't he just the cutest little psychopomp you've ever seen?

anyway, i've seen your skull rattle, so i'll raise you a "rocket pig".
crashlegacy14

Also there's the fact that, unlike pencil and paper, when i use gimp to draw, I can zoom in or out freely. So even though i draw so large that most of my sketches ran off the edges of 8.5 X 11 sheets of paper, i can make a really tiny space in gimp (say 2X2) and as long as the pixels/inch is high enough, i can zoom in and work in painstaking detail.
That painstaking detail is something I'm looking forward to when I get my hands on a tablet and other new hardware. I'll probably end up scanning in at 300dpi like I do presently and first tracing the line art and then adding stupid amounts of detailing. I'm really looking forward to using tablets when coloring things like hair.

Rocket Pig Gah took 20minutes because I had to use references for the individual parts. the rocket in case you where wondering is suppose to be a jumbo fireworks rocket, so yeah that's why we don't have flying pigs....often

Your Skull Rattle was ridiculously cute. I e-mailed to my girl friend, I'm sure that'll make her day, It sure as hell made mine. XD

So. uhnnnnnn. *Blanks out a few times while trying to come up with the next set of words* Humble Rig. HA....why am I still rhyming?
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Ryujin

Alternate Rocket Pig. 5 seconds. :D

One thing nice about tablets is that you can still exercise your traditional sketching skills when you're working exclusively with digital media (although having an infinitely erasable medium does tend to spoil you). About time I got one too...

Anyways, some WIPs/practice with Painter IX. Images are 50% of actual size.
DS23
DS23A (moved to Photoshop)
CHR1
CHR2

As for tools of the trade, 0.5mm mechanical pencil with HB & 2B leads, Photoshop CS, Painter IX, mouse.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Ryujin wrote:Anyways, some WIPs/practice with Painter IX. Images are 50% of actual size.
DS23
CHR1
CHR2
And in one fell swoop, Ryujin puts every last one of us noobs in his place. D: XD
crashlegacy14 wrote:Crab Battle 3:36 (Min:Sec)
Awesome! =D I think I draw a bit slow to participate much in this. Besides, I can't even wrap my head around what a 'humble rig' could possibly be. I'm not as imaginative as most here.
crashlegacy14 wrote:regardless of your handedness it seems when dealing with fully detailed penciled work one eventually comes to the problem of smudging lead. especially if one lives in a very humid climate like the Cajun South.
That's actually one of the reasons I've switched to bristol paper--it being much heavier and less prone to warping due to moisture. My copy paper used to roll itself up like it were a freaking papyrus scroll! Still, the humidity is pretty heavy here, and my bristol paper does bend very slightly. Stupid city....

I guess I'll avoid using a tablet as long as possible. I'm a very low tech sort of person, but I realise I've run into a bit of a problem. I think my drawings are growing too large for my paper. I can just about fit one mech/subject per page. What do I do if I want to fit more subjects? I don't really want to draw smaller. Draw on two sheets of paper? I hope that doesn't screw anything up somehow. Anyone with a tablet would never have that problem though.

Been thinking of a few contest themes. Let me know what you think:

Best (most badass) protagonist mech
obvious edit: and antagonist mech (duh)
Most unlikely grunt upgrade (can be 2 winners: best and most unlikely)
Best yellow mech (because it's a hard color scheme to use. I can see a frankener winning this easy)
Best super mech (something huge like the Quin Mantha/Psycho Gundam or a MA)
Best super robot (could be cool to delve into this territory)
Best battleship/combat vehicle

And I don't mind a generic free/open submission contest, either. As you can see, a few of the contests were designed to give me a bit of an edge. =3

Should we be thinking of a joint project as well? How about gigantic collage of our mascot characters and mechs. I think that'd be awesome. =D

(As for news about me, I've been working in photoshop nonstop all week. One more drawing to go before the project is 'complete'. I expect that it'll be done in two or more days. Look forward to it! Also, new sig!) =3
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
crashlegacy14

Seraphic wrote:
Ryujin wrote:Anyways, some WIPs/practice with Painter IX. Images are 50% of actual size.
DS23
CHR1
CHR2
And in one fell swoop, Ryujin puts every last one of us noobs in his place. D: XD
He sure does. I'm not sure if it's just me (probably is) but the CHR image seems imeslt dark -so much so the first version I can't even see anything.
Seraphic wrote:
crashlegacy14 wrote:Crab Battle 3:36 (Min:Sec)
Awesome! =D I think I draw a bit slow to participate much in this. Besides, I can't even wrap my head around what a 'humble rig' could possibly be. I'm not as imaginative as most here.
You're right humble rig is kinda over the top. I was kinda out of it when I decided to post last time. going with my rhyming convention lets instead make it "Mighty Twig."

and Sera the purpose of this exercise isn't necessarily to be particularity imaginative -I mean really look at my rocket pig. imaginative? I think not.- It's to get you sketching quicker to get you more productive in the future.
Seraphic wrote: I guess I'll avoid using a tablet as long as possible. I'm a very low tech sort of person, but I realise I've run into a bit of a problem. I think my drawings are growing too large for my paper. I can just about fit one mech/subject per page. What do I do if I want to fit more subjects? I don't really want to draw smaller. Draw on two sheets of paper? I hope that doesn't screw anything up somehow. Anyone with a tablet would never have that problem though.
If I'm doing a full body drawing I couldn't fit a second unit on the same page either, however with the wonders of photo shop I can actually work that out after the fact. I just draw the second subject on it's own page. (the example that comes to mind is Ourliss and Elendor). in fact most of my "project" drawings end up spilling over several sheets as I pull out a new one to redraw the limbs on or what not. actually I think this part is actually as much of a problem as a benefit as I often loose focus on these larger /longer drawing projects.
Seraphic wrote: Been thinking of a few contest themes. Let me know what you think:

Best (most badass) protagonist mech
obvious edit: and antagonist mech (duh)
Most unlikely grunt upgrade (can be 2 winners: best and most unlikely)
Best yellow mech (because it's a hard color scheme to use. I can see a frankener winning this easy)
Best super mech (something huge like the Quin Mantha/Psycho Gundam or a MA)
Best super robot (could be cool to delve into this territory)
Best battleship/combat vehicle

And I don't mind a generic free/open submission contest, either. As you can see, a few of the contests were designed to give me a bit of an edge. =3

Should we be thinking of a joint project as well? How about gigantic collage of our mascot characters and mechs. I think that'd be awesome. =D
random contest themes:
Funniest mecha image
as in the whole image is humorous not necessarily the mecha design itself.
Most overloaded mecha design
think the love child of heavy arms & strike freedom with the gp03 platform.
Best SD mecha
Best design of the season
like a gramy or something XD

as for Collabs perhaps we could do some "versus" images or collaborative fan arts. or we could do something like making masses of forum avatar images.
Seraphic wrote: (As for news about me, I've been working in photoshop nonstop all week. One more drawing to go before the project is 'complete'. I expect that it'll be done in two or more days. Look forward to it! Also, new sig!) =3
Ohh I'm looking forward to that..
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Turinu

It's not much yet, but I figured I'd might as well start posting the work-in-progress on my new mecha design in Sketchup.

Unlike my previous ones, which used simply designed joints, I'm actually going into real detail on how I design them this time around. Here's what I got so far...

... Part of an arm!
jjarodurandal

crashlegacy14 wrote:Most overloaded mecha design
think the love child of heavy arms & strike freedom with the gp03 platform.
Oh please don't let this one come up too fast. I've got an idea in my head that is exactly this(the whole idea sprang from a weapon i thought up) but the head just isn't coming along right. I'm gonna need at least till February.

Actually, i'm looking forward to all these contests. I have a tendency to draw very similar things over and over again, so any contest that forces me to draw outside of the stuff i'm used to can only help me.

To throw out another topic, How does everyone go about cleaning up their sketches. I can do a sketch of a character or mech that i'm happy with but it looks like a sketch, millions of short strokes not always connected. The moment i try to clean it up and put some solid lines down, it looks like crap. It's the problem i had with my Gundam eagle design (aside from my crap-tastic coloring job) and is while i'm planning to redo that drawing. I've tried to find a method myself but so far I've been unsuccessful in finding a method i'm happy with.

At any rate, Exams are over, Christmas break is here, I'm finally free to spend my whole day drawing... If video games don't keep me distracted.

I AM ALL THAT IS WOOD!

I think major armstrong has started to practice topiary. Anyway, next subject: Sand Shark.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

See main topic first.

Wing Gundam HY Custom WIP:

Main body
+wing binders
raw scan, after fix

That's my 3mm, lol. As you can see from the dates, this lineart took me nearly a month of dedicated drawing. That means all my free time was spent drawing instead of on other things.

general posture
wing binders
armor
first cleanup
raw scan

Symmetry is the enemy! Jesus freaking christ. After this, I am never looking at another symmetrical thing again...unless they are boobs.....

general work
done-ish?
raw scan

This is what my lineart looks like when I am tired/lazy.

And I forgot to do WIP for this one, lol: raw scan

And yes, I am totally serious about my raws looking that "clean". See Poor Man's Method of Lineart Cleanup.

The series of 'action' drawings were supposed to be quick and dirty, but...well...they ended up neither quick nor dirty. What the hell?

EDIT: Okay, so this was one of the finished images. I tried adding some "glowing ripples" where the sabers touched. While I really like the effect/idea it doesn't look very pro in execution. Could anyone offer any help on this? =( And by the way, I tried looking up ripple tutorials (which use the zigzag filter) and that certain technique is very hard to blend into this certain background. It doesn't look quite good, anyway.

Wcch!! =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
crashlegacy14

Shori wrote: Unlike my previous ones, which used simply designed joints, I'm actually going into real detail on how I design them this time around. Here's what I got so far...

... Part of an arm!
/u;.gyil *picks his jaw off the keyboard* your really progressing in sketch up. the detailing is astounding given the relatively small amount of time you've been working with the program.
Seraphic wrote: raw scan
Symmetry is the enemy! Jesus freaking Christ. After this, I am never looking at another symmetrical thing again...unless they are boobs.....
you know you could have just drawn one entire side cloned it over in photoshop. sure it's kinda awkward drawing only one half of an image and you have to make sure to give youself overlap so there won't be gaps when you flip it later but it would probably have saved you a good deal of work.
Seraphic wrote: And I forgot to do WIP for this one, lol: raw scan
I think I might add something to this... like Yoshimoto fighting it XD.
Seraphic wrote: The series of 'action' drawings were supposed to be quick and dirty, but...well...they ended up neither quick nor dirty. What the hell?
Isn't that how things always start off?

Sand Shark his name is bruce and he displays how much a suck at drawing animals without reference especially so combining animal parts...

anyway the next term is .... FIGHTING SPARK!
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Ryujin

Fighting Spark
Shori wrote:... Part of an arm!
Nicely done. That's the shoulder joint usually hidden under armour, right?
Seraphic wrote:While I really like the effect/idea it doesn't look very pro in execution. Could anyone offer any help on this? =( And by the way, I tried looking up ripple tutorials (which use the zigzag filter) and that certain technique is very hard to blend into this certain background. It doesn't look quite good, anyway.
Possibly use of the smudge tool, coupled with some airbrush work to give the ripples a soft glow...laborious though, and I'm not sure how it would come out.
crashlegacy14 wrote:I'm not sure if it's just me (probably is) but the CHR image seems imeslt dark -so much so the first version I can't even see anything.
Yeah, it's very dark--I wanted to try some lighting effects.

CHR1A
CHR3

The words of the day are Claymore Hyena.
crashlegacy14

Ryujin wrote:Fighting Spark
The words of the day are Claymore Hyena.
I liek your fighting spark. I fell I'm actually going to turn around one day when I need to warm up and take a crack at my own terms I'm throwing up over here.

I couldn't choose just one way of going with this so you guys get two. the top is the result of too much modern warfare 2....(note the wording on the claymores) the second one well it's a hyena with a claymore what can I say.

next term is .... Bursting Athena. damn that took a while to come up with a rhyme for Hyena...
Seraphic wrote:While I really like the effect/idea it doesn't look very pro in execution. Could anyone offer any help on this? =( And by the way, I tried looking up ripple tutorials (which use the zigzag filter) and that certain technique is very hard to blend into this certain background. It doesn't look quite good, anyway.
you know I never even got a hang on how to make things "glow" or for that matter any energy effects. anything people can share for that? normally the only thing I deal with along those lines are the glow of mecha eyes. for those I start with the airbrush tool then apply the smug tool like a ...tool.
Ryujin wrote:
crashlegacy14 wrote:I'm not sure if it's just me (probably is) but the CHR image seems imeslt dark -so much so the first version I can't even see anything.
Yeah, it's very dark--I wanted to try some lighting effects.

CHR1A
CHR3
I really like the first one. well what I can see of it. damn darkness getting in the way.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Turinu

Woo. Another work-in-progress, this time around 90% complete.

My ol' Saber Knightmare Frame. All it's lacking is a few tweeks, some feet, and some landspinners. Finally! After all these months, hopefully it'll be finished before Christmas~!

Also, I definitely somehow used the Raijin's (I think that's the name) legs from Sky Girls in there. Primarily the knee areas.

EDIT: On a side note, anyone's guess onto what my next hopeful 3D project is?
crashlegacy14

the Saber is looking nice Shori (you know I just realized you have a different screen name everywhere I encounter you....) I'm not too much of a fan of your choice on side skirts(on this unit) but I'm really digging those knees since they echo the torso somewhat. and allow me to ask the dumb question of "what are the shoulder guards?" as for what your next 3D design is....no clue I probably should be hunting through your previous frankens but hey I'm lazy.
Crash's Mecha Based RPG
Turinu

The shoulder guards are like giant remote-controlled slash harkens (Akin to something like Incoms, where they're wired, but as flexible as funnels). They can also double as a pair of large MVS Swords, though it will have a pair of it's own standard swords. It's primarily a ground unit with additional anti-air capabilities, designed to bring units from the air down to the ground and pound them, or simply tear apart other units already on the ground. A Knightmare Frame that goes "back to the basics" of Knightmare Frame Combat, heavy high-speed ground combat.

As for the Side skirts, I was going for a Knightly theme and I couldn't find anything else that matched, so I went with them.

Also, come on, there's a hint in the previous post on what it is. :<

EDIT: Added more, it's pretty much obvious what it is now. :<
tehprognoob

Lol everyone stop crushing me self confidence :P I still don't get how to clean up my pictures tho :(

All I gots is dis sketchbook I gots 4 Xmas and some pencils and a scanner running on Windows 98

[*]all eva characters, cuz gundams are hard to draw

[*]Imitating StrikeR (I think, or was it Crash?) I drew Xmasy characters

[*]still...

[*]took some aspects of various Gundams (shoulder, sword and knife holder inspired (somewhat)by the strike, positron cannon on one shoulder inspired by strike freedom's hip guns)
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Turinu

And I continue my Work in Progress of this model. Head's turning out better than I expected so far. At least, better than the usual heads I make, lol.

Here's to hoping I can actually make a good face for one of my models this time.
tehprognoob

lol so much better than mine
Sketch up is very hard to use :/ any tips on how i can make it better?
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

illsteir

*just got back from the 7 circle of hell*
I've made some new renders of old models but I didn't bother to post those here since, well, those are old models. I've also been drawing some humans too and I made an ARX-8 musume, Belial will follow.
My current WIP is a combiner and the M6. I told you guys before that I'll make a transformable, fan-design Epyon Gundam (I refuse to use the word "custom" 'cause I don't think I have the authority to use it XD) but things came to a halt when A friend of mine in dA asked if we could do a collab, a super robot vs giant monster art. His coloring techniques are so awesome so I though I shouldn't let this pass.
Here's the WIP BTW:
Wheee!

Unit 1 is a Tumbler inspired vehicle. Forms the Head, shoulders and upper arms.
Unit 2 is tank mounted with 2 linear cannons which can also be used in humanoid form. forms the chest, hips and thighs.
Unit 3 is a mobile missile launcher. Forms the legs, feet and upper arms.
illsteir

tehprognoob wrote:lol so much better than mine
Sketch up is very hard to use :/ any tips on how i can make it better?
What I do is draw the object that I wanna make in orthographic view, like this, Then draw how the wire frames should "wrap" around the object. I suggest you do some 70's style super robots first for practice due to their non-intricate designs.