Domino's mecha art

The place to share your artwork.
domino

Domino's mecha art

Hey everyone.

Here's a sketch of a 'Pixie' version of the Gundam MkII (or maybe a Mass Prod Type Gundam MkII...take your pic)

Gundam MkII Pixie

I'll update it later. Let me know what you think!
PhantomBread

Re: Domino's mecha art

Wow that's... really actually quite good. o_o Always did like Gundam Pixie, haha.

Keep it up. Don't suppose you do requests, do you?
domino

Thanks!

I'm up for requests. Do you have one?
Josh

Wow, I really like your drawing style you display on your DA account. I'm not just talking about the Gundam either, your character sketches are a breath of fresh air from what I usually come across on DA. Might I ask how long you've been drawing? What tools do you use and maybe an overview of how you've reached your skill level today?

Sorry if this wasn't the kind of request you were expecting, but I'm just getting back into drawing and while the anime style is of course the easy way out I rather avoid it and build myself a solid foundation of realistic (or at least semi-realistic) figure drawing.
ScornMandark

I really like it! It feels like it's got a bit of GP-01 in it, almost more than MkII. It's really very well done.
The Mekton Zeta Mailing List wrote:27. I will not put emergency destruct devices in my mecha. I will put them in my pilots. Nothing motivates like thermite.
PhantomBread

I do have a request, yeah. I'll keep it small for now, but could you do up a sort of next-gen version of the GAT-X102 Duel Gundam from SEED, conceptually and visually comparable to the RX-178 Gundam Mk.II. Essentially, GAT-X178 Duel Mk.II.

For a friend of mine, who loves both designs, and I'd rather like to see it myself.

If you had time after, I wouldn't mind a Buster Gundam done up in a matching style, either.
Last edited by PhantomBread on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ydawg314

Awesome work Domino!
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
domino

Wow, guys! Thanks for the replies! I think I'll post the finished version later this weekend.

Josh > You flatter me but since you asked I'll answer. I've spent many many hours just filling up sketchbooks especially during school. So it's a lot of practice but I've also tried to study how things look as well as my favourite artists. Therefore, I also spent time drawing still-lifes (plants, cars, etc) and copying other artists' work (it's important to keep your copies to yourself though....it only causes trouble for yourself if u upload art u copied even if u only partially copied it for practice). It also really helps to get friends who also draw so you can share techniques and watch someone else draw in real-time.
For this Gundam I've looked at the MkII lineart here on MAHQ as well as pictures of the toys. I went from there while trying to maintain a 'solid' look so the whole thing doesn't look flat.
EDIT: About my tools, I'm right now using a Wacom intuos 3 and Adobe Photoshop CS3. I started out with pencil and paper though and it really is difficult to get used to using a drawing tablet at first but it pays off especially since it pays for itself since there's no need to maintain a scanner, buy paper, pencils and other art supplies lol. I spent a while with strict anime too. I got away from it by doing portraits or drawing people from photos while trying to get them to look as realistic as possible. It may seem tedious at first but photo-referencing is a lot of fun when u have an interesting subject!

PhantomBread > I'll get started on the Duel now. Depending on how it goes, I'll try the Buster afterwards.
ydawg314

Awesome domino I'm exited to see your work
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Your lineart for the Gundam Pixie is very good! The lines feel very natural and relaxed, which I like very much. I used to shade my lineart also, but all of that just caused crap for me when I scanned or tried to do cleanup in Shop. I think the pelvis section looks too short and thin compared to the rest of the body though, especially the large torso it has.

Would you recommend getting a tablet? I'm not particularly sure that I need one.

And I agree with Josh. Your other sketches are lovely, and are quite refreshing to look at. I'm still an anime noob, haha. I could never stand to do still life--no attention span for stuff that doesn't think or move. ^^; It's quite nice to hear that you're as good as you are though a lot of study and practice. I suppose I should start practicing with references or something.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel