question about 3d modeling for gundam (CAD)

The place to share your artwork.
dbzx

question about 3d modeling for gundam (CAD)

Hi everyone , I am trying to create the helm part of the gundam RX-78-2 using Solidworks. I was wondering how would I approach this. So far I created the skull part but I am not sure how to make the mohawk since you cant really extrude and draw any sketches on the round surface or at least I do not know how (i am kinda new to this). Also thers some air vent looking material wrap around the back head of the gundam as shown in this image.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/gund ... _Nu_05.jpg

any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks in advance all.
ScornMandark

Re: question about 3d modeling for gundam (CAD)

Couple of things you could try.

1. Create a second solid, interior to the skull and extrude it through the top of the head. Merge the solids when done.

2. Create a spline curve on the skull top in the border of the mowhawk and extrude the interior of the spline.

1 is obviously much simpler, but you might run into funky issues during the merge. Usually works fast and easy. 2 might give you a more accurate edge, but it'll be hard to keep the top straight if you're extruding from a spherical face.

As for the band around the back of the head, the spline curve extrusion might be better, so that it follows the curve of the head. Just create horizontal splines parallel to each other and extrude the middle faces.

I've been mostly in 3DStudio Max recently, but I used SolidWorks a lot at work.

Hope that helps!
The Mekton Zeta Mailing List wrote:27. I will not put emergency destruct devices in my mecha. I will put them in my pilots. Nothing motivates like thermite.
dbzx

Re: question about 3d modeling for gundam (CAD)

Thanks for the tips, but I was wondering if you can post some screenshots of examples (any doesnt have to be the helm) so i can see what you mean thankyou very much. =]