My mecha art thread

The place to share your artwork.
TGping

My mecha art thread

Hello!
I figure the art section was as good a place as any to introduce myself.
I like mecha, and I like to draw mecha. Let's get started :)

Someone commissioned an original gundam-like mecha from me, and here's the result:
DA link- http://tgping.deviantart.com/art/Gundam ... -117036433 March 09
Photobucket link- http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ ... rscopy.jpg

And here's another original mecha:
DA link- http://tgping.deviantart.com/art/Winged-Mecha-115715451 December 08
Photobucket link- http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ ... _mecha.jpg

This is something for a concept art competition, I call it the Metal Armiger:
DA link- http://tgping.deviantart.com/art/Domina ... -120583430 May 09
Photobucket link- http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ ... _small.jpg

These are all pencil, with photoshop for colors. I always appreciate C&C :)

P.S. Do people prefer to click on a photobucket or DA link? Because I can always change that.
Last edited by TGping on Tue May 05, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ydawg314

Re: My mecha art thread

those are some sick designs. How did you get the lineart to come out so neat.

BTW I prefer photobucket because DA takes some time to load usually.
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
TGping

ydawg314- Thanks, for the lineart I scan it to photoshop and then clean it up with levels. But I usually have pretty clean pencils. I start out with a 2H pencil for my rough and then go over that with a HB .3 mm mechanical pencil.

And duly noted for the links, I'll get on uploading these particular files to the 'bucket :)
ydawg314

Well keep in mind that using photobucket is just my opinion. You should use what you prefer. A lot of people on here use DA.
Battle my brute
TGping

No big deal :) I'll just include both links :D

Done and done!
Strike Zero

I particularly like the one with the streamer-wings -- never seen anything quite like it before. I also like the skeletal-elements used in the torso of the first one and the torso and limbs in the second. The color scheme on the first is excellent too -- simple and stylish, just like how a giant robot's paint job should be. 8)

Overall, very, very nice work. Keep it up!

P.S.: You mentioned a "concept art competition". What exactly is that? Could you elaborate?
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
TGping

Strike zero- First of all, thanks :)

And for the competition, here's a link http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/dw ... _both.html

To explain a little myself, a few CG art forums form a competition. Each forum is a different team, and there's seemingly no limit to the amount of competitors.

Each person has to fully design and realize a charcter from predetermined criteria. One of those criteria is a race of machines, and one of the classes to choose from that is war machine. Which is what I chose. Then we need turnarounds and in progress thumbnails to go with it.

The rules and regulations are all there. There is a ton of awesome stuff being churned out by all teams. I definitely recommend checking it out :)
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Wow, those contest entries are so varied. I can't even tell what the medium might be on most of them! =(

I also appreciate the photobucket links, Ping. Of course no one's really looking through photobucket for artwork really, but it's much easier to access.

Your mech designs are extremely interesting. It makes use of some geometry that I've never seen before. I especially like the first blue one. The wings, shoulders, and legs are wonderfully designed. The only place I've seen design similar to this is the movie version of the Escaflowne. Are you familiar with Kawamori, Ping? =)

Anyway, keep rockin' with the pencil art. I have a 3mm also. =3 We'll be glad to comment on future work, but it'd also be very nice of you to help out and comment for our other members as well. It'll help us get to know you better in the least. =)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
ydawg314

your designs kind of remind me of neon genesis evangelion
Battle my brute
TGping

Seraphic- Thank you for the kind words. I AM familiar with Escaflowne the movie(and the series :) ), however the specific influences here might be closer to five star stories. I also have ZOE in my mind, and for repetitive patterns Kazuma Kaneko really left a mark.

I fully intend to start posting in other threads :D That got me to post in the first place.

ydawg314- I can see that, the organic musculature and fun plane breaks(in the heads and shoulders)

Curved surfaces that turn into flat planes are something I'm fascinated with right now.
ydawg314

TGping wrote:Seraphic- Thank you for the kind words. I AM familiar with Escaflowne the movie(and the series :) ), however the specific influences here might be closer to five star stories. I also have ZOE in my mind, and for repetitive patterns Kazuma Kaneko really left a mark.

I fully intend to start posting in other threads :D That got me to post in the first place.

ydawg314- I can see that, the organic musculature and fun plane breaks(in the heads and shoulders)

Curved surfaces that turn into flat planes are something I'm fascinated with right now.
Your wing design in the second picture is very interesting. I look at it and find myself think of a lot of question kind of in the same way I do when I look at new gundam models in msv books (that's a good thing). It's so unique that is is almost kind of creepy (in a mysterious sense).
Battle my brute
Seraphic

Oh, Kaneko is a designer for Devil May Cry and Shin Megami Tensei! No wonder why some of these elements seemed strangely familar! :o I've been wanting to get into FSS. It looks really fantastic and wimsical. And of course, the Knight of Gold is soooo badass. =p
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

TGping

ydawg314- My reasoning, they are a new technology. Each wing 'finger' has a series of its own antigrav/repulsor engines. I'm glad that they are unique :) its hard to come by nowadays.

Seraphic- Kaneko did the devil triggers for DMC 3 and all of Shin Megami as far as I know. And he also guest designed Lloyd's mech for ZOE 2. For a while there I wanted my style to be a fusion of Kaneko's and Yoji Shinkawa's styles. Lately though, I'm happy with what I got :) not that I wont stop studying there works.
ydawg314

TGping wrote: Seraphic- Kaneko did the devil triggers for DMC 3 and all of Shin Megami as far as I know. And he also guest designed Lloyd's mech for ZOE 2. For a while there I wanted my style to be a fusion of Kaneko's and Yoji Shinkawa's styles. Lately though, I'm happy with what I got :) not that I wont stop studying there works.
Ohhhh I see it now that you say it
Battle my brute
Amadi Akintunde

This stuff is amazing.

That contest even more, I must also say. Had I the ability, I'd try. D:

I like the Gundam, though.
TGping

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I havent had much to post until recently.

So here ya go:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/ ... COLORS.jpg

And the DA link for those inclined :)

http://tgping.deviantart.com/art/Movie- ... -129991583
Seraphic

(Holy shit, I am going to die. I've been posting nonstop for 3 hours or more.)

Hey Ping! It's good to see you're still around. All the new friends I make around here tend to vanish quite quickly. I hope I'm not bad luck or something.

Why aren't people commenting on this? Do we just suck or what?

I've never been much of a follower with Transformers, but this piece is extraordinarily impressive. The level of detail is shocking. The sword has a place for each finger!! (Though I have to say that would cause the weapon to lose some adaptability.) Why would Prime need a sword, anyway. =p

I can't tell that's really going on with his right arm. Could you explain that? Those toes remind me of metal gear. And do you have a small sketch of him in his truck mode??

GAH, there's a person in there...! x,X
-Antares