Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MAHQ stuff » MAHQ News

Post subject: MAHQ podcast issues
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:36 pm 
Bald Wizard

Some of you who subscribe to our podcasts may have noticed some recent issues. Since Sunday, many podcasts have been taken down without notice by Mevio, including Chaos Theater, Laplace's Box, Shinjuku Station at the Movies and the Tomocast. For now, Gundamn remains unaffected. According to a story on TechCrunch, Mevio appears to be shifting strategies. I can personally testify to everything in that story: their response to this issue has been completely incompetent, and all my inquires into the issue have been met with total silence.

So what does this mean for listeners?
As I mentioned, Gundamn is currently unaffected by Mevio's actions. Direct download links for Chaos Theater and Laplace's Box still work. However, Mevio has disabled the RSS feeds for those shows, so if you subscribe to us on iTunes or some other podcatcher, you're out of luck for now.

What do we plan to do about it?
Gundamn is scheduled to record this weekend, so we will release that episode as normal if no other issues come up. No new episodes have been recorded yet for Chaos Theater or Laplace's Box, so we're not falling behind with content that we're sitting on. We are in the process of evaluating hosting services to find a new provider for all three shows. This will be a somewhat laborious process on our end, as we'll have to reupload everything to our new host, and it's not clear yet if we'll be able to update our feed in iTunes. If it's not possible to do that, we'll have to go to the extreme action of removing the shows entirely and then resubmitting them.

I apologize over the inconvenience this will cause our listeners. No one is more furious than me at Mevio's incompetence and their total lack of communication. Once we're set up on our new hosts, I would recommend that you all never visit their site again or give them any support. I don't normally cheer for companies to fail, but I hope this blows up in their faces exactly as it should, because they've earned the ill will from MAHQ and all the other podcasts that they've screwed over.

Please watch this thread for more information about this issue.

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035

Post subject: Re: MAHQ podcast issues
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 pm 
Der Bigen Slicen

But why those specific podcasts? Or is it just random?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 pm 
Bald Wizard

No one really knows for sure, since Mevio absolutely refuses to communicate with the outside world. I've sent multiple emails and even called them, and I can't speak with anyone.

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 pm 
HiMAT Spammer

Sorry to hear this chris. Keep up the good work with recording the podcast though. You can let me know if you need me to right into or sign something in protest.

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 pm 
Lackey GM Pilot

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
But why those specific podcasts? Or is it just random?

might be new(er) ones only, but the tech crunch article seemed indicate it was fairly wider reaching, all I know is my show got hosed the same way.

bollocks.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 pm 
Der Bigen Slicen

See kids, this is what we call Shooting Yourself In The Foot.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 am 
AEUG Slapping Boy

Well this completely sucks. Way to break it, Mevio!

Do you have any idea as to who you would prefer to switch over to right now?

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:38 am 
Bald Wizard

mobiusdiablo wrote:
Do you have any idea as to who you would prefer to switch over to right now?

We have yet to determine that, as we are examining several options.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 am 
Mecha Flunky

Chris wrote:
No one really knows for sure, since Mevio absolutely refuses to communicate with the outside world. I've sent multiple emails and even called them, and I can't speak with anyone.

Chris, I sincerely hope they are not following the path of Lamar Smith & that whole ZOINKS (excuse my language) of SOPA. Otherwise, there will be a whole lot of issues coming along.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 am 
Podcast Superstar*

After being a part of Mevio for six years in one way or another, with Shinjuku Station starting off with Flip the Script! back when they were called Podshow in 2006, it's wholeheartedly disappointing how things have turned out in this situation. There was a bit of a scare in 2007 when they went from being Podshow to Mevio but that was actually during the hiatus from FTS and before we started Gundamn in October of that year. Since that point there were very few issues, save for the occasional techno-hiccup.

I could say this set of circumstances came out of the blue, but Neo, Chris & I noticed little things that might be leading to this over the last year with Mevio and spoken several times about other hosting alternatives if the worst case scenario plays out. I'm certain that we'll find another home for our podcasts, but in the meantime, if you haven't caught up on downloading any episodes for Chaos Theater, Laplace's Box, Gundamn! @ MAHQ, or any Shinjuku Station podcasts you might have missed, no time like the present to visit their respective websites grab those back-issues while you still conveniently can.

Index for Previous episodes of Gundamn! @ MAHQ

Hang tight, gang. Like Chris said, we'll keep you posted on new developments.

Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 am 
Cardboard Leo Ace

So that's why I was getting a can't find the server error for Chaos Theater and Laplace's Box. Here I was thinking of using Mevio for an MMA podcast I was planning well, forget that. As for transferring the feeds for iTunes. I think podbean can help, but I'm not sure. I believe libsyn will help you transfer your feed on iTunes to them without making another feed in the iTunes store. But you have to pay them though.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:17 am 
Lackey GM Pilot

That explains why I couldn't download any Tomocast or Chaos Theater episodes... wow 2012 is starting to get worse ain't it? And it's only been like what a month into the year?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:43 am 
Okawara x Katoki Love Child

This is ridiculous..I hope you guys can fix the issue quickly and without much hassle. Its a shame that this was done to you guys.

-- Haman Karn

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:35 pm 
Bald Wizard

UPDATE: Mevio has temporarily restored the RSS feeds for Chaos Theater and Laplace's Box. We are in the process of transitioning the shows to libsyn, and everything should hopefully be set in a few days.

UPDATE 2: All episodes of Laplace's Box have been imported to libsyn, so download links have been updated here on Mecha Talk and on the show's blog page.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 am 
Bald Wizard

Good news, everyone! (Yes, you should be reading that as Farnsworth.) The feeds for all three shows have been updated in iTunes, so everything is back to normal now.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:29 pm 
Newtype Emo Guy

Great news! Thanks for all the hard work guys! I'm putting the new episodes on my iTouch right now.

Board index » MAHQ stuff » MAHQ News