Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MAHQ stuff » MAHQ News

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 pm 
Bald Wizard

Chris wrote:
For those who saw the earlier update, yes, that was an April Fools' prank. Given how many years this update has been in the works, we couldn't help but have a laugh before finally starting over. What you see now is the real design, what we've referred to for years as "MAHQ 2.0." This new design is the way MAHQ will look for the rest of its life (which will hopefully be many more years). I have to give an enormous amount of credit to Dale for working on the design and Damian Fuentes for providing the graphics.

We've added several new features as part of this redesign. First, a long-requested search bar is finally available. If you've ever found yourself at a loss as to where to find a specific mobile suit, worry no more. We've also added Google Translate functionality, which will allow non-English speakers to view the site in French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Japanese, Korean and Chinese. Another new feature is an integrated Twitter widget that allows you to see all our tweets in one spot. Please note that we will be making some tweaks to these new features. If you find that something isn't working, we're probably aware of it.

One thing you'll quickly notice as you click links is that only the front door is done. Given the sheer size of MAHQ, we determined that the work of converting it behind the scenes would be so mammoth a task as to be a de-motivator. Therefore, we decided to do a live rollout. None of our navigation is changing, so you can click between the old and new design with no problems. Our original intention was to rollout five new sections today, but time worked against us on that one. Instead, you'll see them in the next few weeks. And over the next few months, you'll see more and more of the site converted to the new design until it's all done.

With all that out of the way, it's time to take note of what today means. It was 10 years ago today that Dale and I launched a tiny website called the Fantasy & Animation HQ. Not to sound like a broken record, but where the site has gone in the last decade has been far beyond any expectation we had. We never thought it would last this long or build a self-sustaining community. Hell, when we started FAHQ, there wasn't even such a thing as podcasting. That this site has lasted as long as it has is truly a testament to the people who visit everyday, who post on the forum and who work to help us improve it. None of this would have been possible without that support. So with that in mind, here's to 10 years so far, and hopefully to another 10!

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:24 pm 
Traitor Villain

oooooooooooooooooo

diggin' this new design. The menu bar at the top is a lot less tightly-packed than the old sidebar.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:32 pm 
Hot-blooded Gattai

This new layout is nice indeed.

Although I tried out the search box on the main page just to see what I would get for "Wing Zero". The first link I got back was to the listing of Gundam Wing mobile weapons page on wikipedia. The second was to the MAHQ profile for the endless waltz version. All the rest on the first page of results, save for one youtube (damn them and their new layout) link for a Wing Zero vs. Epyon video, were for the Zero Wing video game in some way. The next few pages were more balenced, but still brought back mostly Zero Wing links. This was making sure that the MAHQ only was selected as well BTW.

All the results are belong to them and not you, Chris. :lol:
But then again, I suppose that's just Google for you.

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:42 pm 
Bald Wizard

Like I said, some new features aren't working perfectly, the Google Search being one of them. Once we get it fixed, it will provide MAHQ-specific faults rather than excluding us completely.

"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:25 pm 
Creepy Bishonen

Ten out Ten ol' boy, well done on the make over. :D

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 pm 
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend

Hm. Initially I didn't like it (I liked the sidebar look), but it's starting to grow on me. Can't wait to see more. And once you get the search function up and running, that'll be great.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:03 pm 
Traitor Villain

Excellent design!

Easier on the eyes.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 pm 
Newtype Emo Guy

Kudos with the new design! The drop down menus are very convenient and save tons of load time. I'm a bit sad to see the good ol' light up buttons go, but eh, I'm willing to sacrifice that for faster information access. Search bar is a really nice touch as well! Bravo!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:56 am 
OMG Doomsday Laser

Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.
Balls, I missed out on the prank. Did anyone else catch it? =/

I like the new layout. It's very smooth. The menus seem to pop up a bit slowly, but that's probably just because of my cruddy browser and it's various issues.

Congrats on 10 years and the new design! :mrgreen:

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 pm 
Mysterious Masked Dude

Location: In the Zaku's cockpit. Yes, the one that just exploded.
are those Lego bricks used in the banner? Is it only the front page that's been modified?

ShadowCell wrote: Perspective. It's great.
CrashLegacy14 wrote: my immortal enemy: Perspective.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:19 am 
Mecha Flunky

Keep up the good work guys! :) Liking it a lot!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 pm 
Mecha Flunky

nice work, by the way, when will you have the new updates? can i join you in updating the mahq? :D

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:58 am 
AEUG Slapping Boy

Congradulations on the reformating and the 10 year anniversary. Sorry for being a month late. :P

Board index » MAHQ stuff » MAHQ News